Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 AM

Default [IBC] Arakawa

As Sandy Vrooman warned me, my 'Arakawa,' the cork bark maple, is very
reluctant to bud back on the trunk. I have one I pruned & potted up early this year,
which is essentially a bare trunk, with one small branch near the top that
has a few full size leaves. There are about three or four buds comng on the
trunk where I need them. Any suggestions how to get more branches?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-05-2005, 05:33 AM
MartyWeiser

Iris,

I agree with Sandy that back budding is not the forte of this cultivar.
Mine has more branches than that, but it is not nearly as dense as most of
my other maples. That being said the things I think will help a
1) Solid fertilization to promote strong growth
2) Cutting back the tips once it gets going to try to push the energy back
into any latent buds.
3) Defoliation for the same reason as #2, but make sure it is really strong
4) A well ramified root system since that seems to promote good ramification
above. Mine accepts root washing and fairly strong reduction, but it
definitely is not as strong that year. However, the following year is a
good strong growth year. I get a fair number of long circling roots in two
years so I repot every other year if I can get to it.
5) I have seen reference to making a horizontal cut through the bark above a
dormant bud as a way to induce it to grow. I think the idea is to cut off
sap flow further up the tree so it is forced out the bud.

Marty

As Sandy Vrooman warned me, my 'Arakawa,' the cork bark maple, is very
reluctant to bud back on the trunk. I have one I pruned & potted up early
this year,
which is essentially a bare trunk, with one small branch near the top that
has a few full size leaves. There are about three or four buds comng on the
trunk where I need them. Any suggestions how to get more branches?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Steven Wachs

Isn't the A.P.Arakawa referred to as the Rough Bark Maple?

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 11-05-2005, 04:30 PM

In a message dated 5/11/05 9:18:36 AM, STEVEW70146 writes:
Isn't the A.P. 'Arakawa' referred to as the Rough Bark Maple?*

That's what Bill calls it. Suberin by any other name still interferes with
budding. Bill says I might have to graft it if the bark is too developed. If I
get any long shoots out of the top, I may try thread grafting.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Steve wachs

I have 2 Arakawa.. They are young trees. neither have rough bark development
yet. They appear to be doing well as far as budding back goes. Maybe once
that bark develops it difficult to bud over those areas. Right now they bud
back like any other A.P.

SteveW

Old 11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Marty Haber

Usually cork barked maple, but common names vary from place to place and
time to time.