GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] First Bonsai - Fukien Tea / Small Leaf (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/94817-re-%5Bibc%5D-first-bonsai-fukien-tea-small-leaf.html)

Nicolas Steenhout 26-05-2005 10:53 PM

[IBC] First Bonsai - Fukien Tea / Small Leaf

On 27/05/2005 09:44:16, wrote:
GK wrote:
I just received my first Bonsai, a Fukien Tea / Small Leaf.
training it goes. Any bonsai club is north of where I live. I'm
about 30 miles south of the Chicago Loop.

The club at the Chicago Botanical garden is pretty good. I know it's a
drive, particularly hard in Winter, but it's really worth joining, even if
you only go once every other month. I used to live in Forest Park and that
was about 17 miles. Grab some good tunes and go :)

There's also a club in Springfield, but that's probably too far for you.

It has some small flowers on it. Should I trim them, or allow them to
grow?

I've left flowers on the Fukien teas I had. Didn't seem to affect them much
one way or the other.

Perhaps a picture would help.

http://internetbonsaiclub.org Look for the Galleries :) You'll be able to
get some responses there :)

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

GK 27-05-2005 12:32 PM

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
On 27/05/2005 09:44:16, wrote:

GK wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually in *Park* Forest. We always get
confused with Forest Park. The Chicago Botanical garden is quite a haul
from here, but, you're right, they're good up there. I'll make a point
of visiting sometime this summer at least.

GK

Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL 27-05-2005 03:49 PM

I have a couple of them (I live in Cleveland, so similar temps). Mine
are just now making the transition from inside under lights to outside
as our temps are still falling into the 40's at night and they prefer
warmer weather. Don't let it dry completely out - slightly damp, but
not wet seems to work best. Clip and grow is also about the only way
I've found to train it, unless you carefully wire the new shoots before
they harden. Otherwise, the wood is pretty brittle. They like morning
sun, but don't do well in direct noontime or afternoon sun/heat...even
in Cleveland. If you leave the flowers on, you may get fruit which adds
to the appearance (IMHO). They thicken VERY slowly. I've had mine 3
years now and it has not thickened noticeably at all even though it is
in an oversized pot for the size of the tree.

Enjoy!

Jeff Isom

Cleveland, OH