Old 31-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] NPR coverage of DC convention

Geez, don't be such a cynic and give 'em a break! ;-) The NPR reporter probably just showed up and didn't bother trying to locate the publicity chair, who is probably wearing several hats during this event. These things aren't so much like big corporations with legions of employees with specific jobs. Get real. This is bonsai, a hobby for most of us.
By the way, I'm really enjoying the convention. Everyone has thousands of pictures. It will take a while to get a few of them in acceptable format for the Galleries after we get back to our busy lives back home, but we will share them with everyone ASAP.
Alan Walker

From: Jim Lewis
Nina wrote:
Sunday night, National Public radio had a story on the bonsai
convention, calling it the biggest bonsai gathering ever. They spent
most of the story explaining that it is pronounced "Bone-sai" and did
not involve torture. I would have wished that they had mentioned the
words "peaceful contemplation" or in some way explained why one would
pursue this hobby, instead of following people around in the vendor
area, where peace and contemplation was in short supply.

Nina

PS- I bought the Washington Post on Friday, and there was no mention of
the convention in the calendar, and no ads telling people they could
walk in and look at the trees. I can't understand this, given that
we'd like to interest more people in joining us. This was a great
opportunity for outreach.

Both typical happenings (or non-happenings) where bonsai is
concerned.

But in the NPR case, whoever was in charge of publicity for
WBFF should have tried to guide the reporter to suitable
topics. There IS someone in charge of publicity, isn't there?

Nah. Probably not.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --