Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 AM

Default [IBC] good time?

In a message dated 6/3/05 9:18:25 AM, writes:
I saw your *back* on Saturday, but you were up the escalator without
hearing Anita and me yelling
after you

Sorry I missed you and my other buddies. Generally I had a very good time. I
stayed with my cousin. Mrs. "You Can't Take it With You" meets Martha Stewart.
She wouldn't let me water my plants in the bathtub; I had to water them in
the garage. However, she fussed over me & was very hospitable.
The drive was very gruelling, took almost 10 hours each way, due to health
problems, traffic, and construction. Nothing serious. I would do it again.
I spent Saturday afternoon at the buttonwood workshop with Mary Madison, &
have a nice tree to show for it. Still needs sanding & lime sulfur. I bought a
pot that she recommended. I hope it's big enough, but I have a couple of others
to fall back on.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the sales area, but found specific things I
was looking for. Picked up a pot Richard Robinson made to order. I had to do a
lot of root pruning to make the plant fit. If it survives, it will be
terrific. Bought two books, a couple of starters from Meehan's, and some wire.
The tote case for full registrants was very nice, but I thought the souvenir
mass-produced pot from Certre was a little tacky. I guess that's what they
could afford. I may use it for my miniature hosta. The price they were asking for
the real souvenir pot was too much.
Parking was awful. I was told parking in the hotel garage would be $16 a day,
but there was no in-and-out holdover, so one day it actually cost $48. Fred
Janson told me he had to park his truck at the railroad station, & it cost him
$120.
Sunday morning I spent 4 hours at a demonstration of a Pierneef-to-be forest
by Charles Ceronio. This was one of the advantages of a big convention,
because otherwise when would I meet him? After his lecture, he was kind enough to
autograph 2 copies of his book and take a look at my stone pine, which he
pruned. However, the three-ring-circus idea was the pits. They had three people
doing demonstrations at the same time, passing the mike around. If they couldn't
have three separate rooms, they should have had one talk at a time & settled
for shorter ones. Some people compained about the acoustics. And at the time I
thought it was my new hearing aid and the South African accent! There was no
provision for reserving a few seats in the front row for those with limited
vision & hearing, & a few thoughtless boors left their things on the best chairs &
disappeared. Finally I edged into one.
My cousin & I enjoyed the exhibit. It's too bad there weren't more trees from
abroad, but I suppose they have to be very strict these days. We have
imported enough deadly insects & diseases already.
I could do without the rocks & pots. They should be in a separate exhibit for
those who want to see them.
Two days before the convention, the leaders sent me an e-mail with a copy of
the exhibit catalogue, & asked me to go over the nomenclature. I did, based on
my most careful research, but they only used about half my suggestions. I
guess Dasiphora floribunda for American cinquefoil was just too radical.
By the way, when did the identification of Brazilian rain tree go from
Samanea saman to Pithecellobium tortum? I blew that one (not in the exhibit).
The food for dinner Saturday & Sunday was healthful & tasty, but skimpy. I
didn't mind because I am trying to lose weight, but I imagine a lot of people
didn't get their money's worth.
The highlight for me was the visit to the National Collection. It was
wonderful to wander through it after dinner. However, I hope Jack Sustic got the
message that if they are going to have it lit up at night, they should also light
up the labels.
I am looking forward to the ABS weekend in Saratoga next year. See you there.
Iris
Usually I try to take one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me
at once.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++