Old 14-06-2005, 01:04 PM

Default [IBC] ID Problem

In a message dated 6/14/05 12:08:53 AM, Michael writes:
Could it be Juniperus scopulorum 'Blue Arrow'?

Close but no cigar. What is frustrating is that I had the ID once, but I
didn't jot it down, not thinking I would run across the same tree again. All I
remember is that it is a juniper.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Jim Lewis

In a message dated 6/14/05 12:08:53 AM, Michael writes:

Could it be Juniperus scopulorum 'Blue Arrow'?

Close but no cigar. What is frustrating is that I had the ID once, but I
didn't jot it down, not thinking I would run across the same tree again. All I
remember is that it is a juniper.
Iris

Here are the more common blue-tinted junipers (that I know),
beginning with the J. chinensis types: 'Pyramidalis' has
dense blue-green leaves and a columnar habit; J. davurica is
spreading with blue-gray foliage; J. deppeana var.
pachyphylaea is conical with a sharply pointed crown and
silvery bluegray foliage; J. horizontalis is a spreading
plant and 'Blue chip' has blue foliage, as does 'Douglasii'
and 'Glauca.' 'Plumosa is a tall cultivar with blue-gray
foliage that goes purple in the fall. J. procumbens has
blue-green foliage, of course; J. recurva has pendulous
branches and blue-green foliage; J. scopularum 'Blue heaven'
has bluish foliage; several J. squamata cultivars have
blue-green leaves, including 'Blue carpet,' 'Blue star,'
'Holger,' and 'Meyeri.' Finally in my list of junipers, J.
virginiana 'Glauca' is columnar with blue-green foliage.

There are many others. Dirr alone has 5 pages of J.
chinensis cultivars and nearly that many of other species.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --