Old 19-06-2005, 08:01 PM
BlueHippo

Default Azaleas

I just got a 5-gallon "Golden Flame" Azalea for the yard and a one
gallon "Gibralter" for a pre-bonsai. The Gibralter Azalea has three
long stems with good foliage up top. I was thinking of cutting those
and seeing if they'd root. Any tips for Azaleas?

Old 19-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Marty Haber

Yes. Select the 5 gal. tree for bonsai and the 1 gal. for the yard.
Once a tree is placed in a bonsai pot, new growth is minimal. The tree that
is planted in the ground will grow much faster: so do yourself a favor and
plan to use the 5 gal. for bonsai.
I just got a 5-gallon "Golden Flame" Azalea for the yard and a one
gallon "Gibralter" for a pre-bonsai. The Gibralter Azalea has three
long stems with good foliage up top. I was thinking of cutting those
and seeing if they'd root. Any tips for Azaleas?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Jim Lewis

----- Original Message ----- From: "BlueHippo"
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:01 PM

I just got a 5-gallon "Golden Flame" Azalea for the yard and a one
gallon "Gibralter" for a pre-bonsai. The Gibralter Azalea has three
long stems with good foliage up top. I was thinking of cutting those
and seeing if they'd root. Any tips for Azaleas?

Marty gave good advice. And yes, azalea root readily. Use
some rootone and put the cuttings in a sand/peat mixture.
Keep it moist but not wet and in only morning sun.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 20-06-2005, 01:17 PM
BlueHippo

well, my only qualm about that is that the five-gallon's tag says it'll
grow to be around 10-12 feet. wouldn't it be a problem miniaturizing
something that wants to be that size?

Old 20-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Marty Haber

Not necessarily. I have a couple of Dawn Redwoods which have the capacity
of growing to 90'. One is kept at 30" and the other at 48". As for
azaleas, they can be even more easily controlled.