Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 PM
fuzzface

Default [IBC] very new

I am very new to trying to grow any bonsai trees but have read about it over
the years. Now I am going to give it a try. First forgive me for asking a
dumb question or two.
I have always like the group or forest looking trees and have want to go
with that look. I got 5 maple( dont really what type of) seedings that I
found growing in the flower beds and put then in a pot. They are doing well
growing and new leaves coming out.
Can anyone tell me if this has a chance of making it or am I wasting my
time?
How long before I have to trim the roots, this coming spring?
What is a good book to read on Bonsai mainly on the group or forest
plantings?
thanks for your help
Also I lived about 60 miles southeast of Columbus,Ohio any clubs nearby?

Gary

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Kitsune Miko

Your maples should make it. If they have small leaves, they will make a nice grove. If thay have large leaves ;you will have to wait until the trunks are in proportion to the leaves.

What size pot did you put the maples in? Are they close together or separated?

I think Jphn Naka's Techniques one has the most thorough explanation of a forest planting. It is out of print, but perhaps you can find a copy at a library.

Kits
fuzzface wrote:
[...]

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Alan Walker

Although John is now deceased, I don't think his books are out of
print.

Alan Walker

Old 05-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Steven Wachs

you definitely are not wasting time. Regardless of the variety of Maples you
will get the idea of what makes a forest. Japanese Maples are great for
forests, but you can do it with other maplesif can keep the leaf size down.
After you do a few bonsai you will decide what makes good bonsai material after
a while.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Pauline Muth

John's books are distributed both by BCI and ABS. Go to their websites to
order.
Pauline Muth

Old 05-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Wendy F

There are clubs in Columbus and Newark, which may be your closest bet.
There are others in Cincinnati and Morgantown, WV. All of these would mean a
drive for you, unfortunately. There might be something in Athens, but I'm
not certain.

If those are too far for monthly club meetings, I would at least try to make
the drive to regional shows. Shows often display trees in many different
stages of development, and there may be demos and workshops too.

If nothing else, you still have great resources online and in books!

-Wendy
Ohio, zone 5b/6a