Old 16-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Default [IBC] Hally Jolivette

I was at a garden nursery and happened to find a Hally Jolivette in a 3
gallon pot, for about half what they charge in bonsai nurseries. Somebody wrote
that it is much less delicate in larger sizes.
However, the last one they had insists on being a twin trunk. If I cut off
one trunk, I would lose almost half the tree. Do flowering cherries work as twin
trunk bonsai? Somebody in Rochester has a gorgeous Hally Jolivette bonsai,
but I can't find any pictures on the Web.
After a little preliminary pruning, my first task is to pull the two trunks
closer together, as they are at something close to a 90 deg. angle now.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Marty Haber

If the trunks meet close to the base, you might be able to do a twin trunk,
but if they don't, forgetaboutit.
Marty
I was at a garden nursery and happened to find a Hally Jolivette in a 3
gallon pot, for about half what they charge in bonsai nurseries. Somebody
wrote
that it is much less delicate in larger sizes.
However, the last one they had insists on being a twin trunk. If I cut off
one trunk, I would lose almost half the tree. Do flowering cherries work
as twin
trunk bonsai? Somebody in Rochester has a gorgeous Hally Jolivette bonsai,
but I can't find any pictures on the Web.
After a little preliminary pruning, my first task is to pull the two
trunks
closer together, as they are at something close to a 90 deg. angle now.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Forget the twin trunks. After I got rid of the ants' nest, I went looking for
the top of the root ball. It was a good two inches below the joint, so I got
rid of the second trunk. Now my problem is to decide which of the upper
branches will be the new leader.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++