GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] phoenix graft and air layers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/982-re-%5Bibc%5D-phoenix-graft-air-layers.html)

Jim Lewis 09-02-2003 10:25 PM

[IBC] phoenix graft and air layers

Hi Everybody

Three questions:
1 - What is a phoenix graft and how do you do it?

A phoenix graft (AKA tanuki) is grafting a live tree to a dead
tree to give the impression that the entire thing makes up a tree
with a LOT of dead wood. No way to explain the process via
e-mail and do it justice. A recent Bonsai magazine (I want to
say Bonsai Today, but maybe not -- I aparently didn't index the
article) had an article on doing one.

Some folks think they're a bit dishonest.

2 - Is there any reason why one shouldn't do two or more air

layers on a
single branch or trunk?

On a _single_ branch/trunk, the top layer is the one most likely
to take. You can do several on a single tree, but I'm not sure
I'd try consecutive layers on A branch of A trunk.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 09-02-2003 10:55 PM

[IBC] phoenix graft and air layers

In a message dated 2/9/2003 4:16:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Three questions:
1 - What is a phoenix graft and how do you do it?

A Phoenix graft is where a living plant is grafted to a larger piece
of dead wood, thus making the plant with a one inch trunk appear to have a 10
inch trunk with one inch of living tissue. Sometimes a grove is cut into the
dead wood to accept the smaller diameter tree, in the case we had at our
study group today the living tissue was put behind the deadwood with live
branched wired around the front. This is a lot like the false building
fronts used in Hollywood. The term Phoenix comes from the myth of the
Phoenix a bird that rises from its own ashes. (Southwestern Native American
Mythology?)

2 - Is there any reason why one shouldn't do two or more air layers on a
single branch or trunk?

Well, the process probably stresses the tree and might not be healthy.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL 10-02-2003 05:26 PM

[IBC] phoenix graft and air layers

Colin Lewis' "new" book on Bonsai design has a great section on Phoenix
grafts - he goes through a nice explanation AND there are some good
pictures. If I remember correctly, the book's cover picture is the Phoenix
graft.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Neal Ross 10-02-2003 06:25 PM

[IBC] phoenix graft and air layers

It does. The book is The Art Of Bonsai Design. It is a great book, broken
down into species. There are sections on Elms, Junipers, Pines, and Larches.
There are lots of sidebar notes too on care for each species.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA