Old 10-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] mugho pine question

akrummel wrote:

I live in NE Ohio. The winter is dragging out but there are hopeful
signs of spring. I have several different varieties of trees planted in
the ground. Should I put them in pots as soon as the ground allows
access?
I've had trouble keeping mugho pines alive once in pots. I've only tried

the garden store variety but I got one last summer that is a dwarf
variety and had already been put in a bonsai pot. I put it in the
gardent to winter over. When should it come out? Do I return it to the
outdoors once in a pot or keep it in until it gets past the freezing
weather? what about a shipaku? Ginko? I don't want to wait until the
weather breaks and then pot, do I? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Did you take the tree out of the pot when putting it in the ground?
There is no need for that. Use a frost proof pot and bury the tree with
the pot. By doing so you donīt disturb the roots every year.
You should take the tree out of the ground when there is little risk of
freezing. Of course there can always be cold nights, your best choise is
to place the tree in a garage then. You usually repot when the buds
begin to swell, and protect the tree from freezing temperatures after
that. When it comes to the shimpaku there is no panic, it can be
transplanted/potted in late spring.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

overgrown mugho pine United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 01:55 AM
overgrown mugho pine United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 12:54 AM
overgrown mugho pine United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 12:01 AM
mugho pine question akrummel Bonsai 0 09-03-2003 06:33 PM
when to pot mugho pine? others? akrummel Bonsai 0 08-03-2003 03:34 PM