GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yellow string type nuisance plant problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/100543-yellow-string-type-nuisance-plant-problem.html)

Mel 27-07-2005 03:07 AM

Yellow string type nuisance plant problem

The past two years there has been a yellow string type plant that wraps
around and around and through and around my cucumber plants kinda strangling
the cucumber plant. Does anyone know what this is and how to control it?
It is really a nuisance. There are no leaves on it. It is a real thin
string type plant.

GA Pinhead 27-07-2005 03:15 AM

More orange really. Parasite, Dodder. Just pull it off.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/freeform/slo...seases4696.htm

I have not seen that in years. Actually pretty cool for a weed.

John!

Repeating Rifle 27-07-2005 06:42 AM

Mel wrote:
The past two years there has been a yellow string type plant that wraps
around and around and through and around my cucumber plants kinda strangling
the cucumber plant. Does anyone know what this is and how to control it?
It is really a nuisance. There are no leaves on it. It is a real thin
string type plant.

On a recent trip near San Diego, my son spotted some in the wild. We thought
it was a fungus. It looked a lot like orange monofilament line might look.
It is a full fledged angiosperm just like most seed crops we grow--except
that it is parasitic.

Bill