Old 29-07-2005, 06:04 PM
gwtx2

Default How does a cabbage head form

Does anyone know how a cabbage head forms? Does it form by the outside
leaves wrappring over each other, or does it form from within? If ir
forms from the outside leaves, does pesticide become trapped within the
head?

Old 29-07-2005, 06:51 PM
~patches~

gwtx2 wrote:

Does anyone know how a cabbage head forms? Does it form by the outside
leaves wrappring over each other, or does it form from within? If ir
forms from the outside leaves, does pesticide become trapped within the
head?

I have 4 cabbages growing. The heads formed from the inside leaves that
had me wondering about the cabbage worm droppings. What I did was
remove any worms I found then sprayed the heads good with plain water.
The though of worm droppings in my cabbage was discusting. I would think
pesticide could become trapped within the head just on principle. The
pesticide I used indicates a harvest date so you have to spray so many
days before harvesting. I think after that time the pesticide is
harmless? I'm sure commercial growers use pesticides on cabbage
otherwise they would have a diminished crop.
Old 30-07-2005, 01:18 AM
GK

~patches~ wrote:
gwtx2 wrote:

Does anyone know how a cabbage head forms? Does it form by the outside
leaves wrappring over each other, or does it form from within? If ir
forms from the outside leaves, does pesticide become trapped within the
head?

I have 4 cabbages growing. The heads formed from the inside leaves that
had me wondering about the cabbage worm droppings. What I did was
remove any worms I found then sprayed the heads good with plain water.
The though of worm droppings in my cabbage was discusting. I would think
pesticide could become trapped within the head just on principle. The
pesticide I used indicates a harvest date so you have to spray so many
days before harvesting. I think after that time the pesticide is
harmless? I'm sure commercial growers use pesticides on cabbage
otherwise they would have a diminished crop.

My spray says to wait 7 days after spraying to harvest cabbage. That's
what I'm going to do. I'll let you know if I survive.

Seriously, I gave them a good soak several times. They should be fine.

How do you harvest cabbage? Just take up the whole plant? Or twist out
the cabbage itself? Any recipe ideas? I have 4 cabbages also, one
ready to harvest.
Old 30-07-2005, 02:46 PM
gwtx2

I had a dozen heads this year, but the worms had some good meals. And
like you said, the droppings can be disgusting, and they do get trapped
within the leaves. I refused to use Sevin dust, which would have
helped, and spent lots of time gathering worms.

This year, I twisted the heads off the stalks. Last year I cut them off
with a butcher's knife. I like the twist method, which is easier for
me.

Next year, I plan on starting my cabbage early (like in March). This
will give the plant sufficient time to head-up before the moths come
around full swing. I might even try some netting of some sort. I just
don't like the idea of using poison on cabbage plants. Personally, for
some reason, I can't believe that Sevin (and other pesticides) are
harmless after 7 days.

Old 30-07-2005, 02:48 PM
gwtx2

Btw, I usually make kraut from my cabbage, plus we'll have a meal or
two with steamed cabbaged (salted and peppered).

Old 30-07-2005, 04:14 PM
R. M. Watkin

Hi All,

reply at the end.

"GK" frodo@a

meriNOSPMtech.net wrote in message
m...
~patches~ wrote:
gwtx2 wrote:

[...]

I have read some were that if you cut off the cabbage head, and cut an X in
the stem that is left, you will get four small cabbage. I have not done this
myself, so I do not know if it will work. I have some red cabbage. When I
harvest them I may give it go, and see what happens.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 31-07-2005, 10:27 PM
~patches~

GK wrote:

~patches~ wrote:

gwtx2 wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure about the harvesting as it is our first year growing them.
I'm planning to cut the whole plant.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:00 PM
GK

~patches~ wrote:

My spray says to wait 7 days after spraying to harvest cabbage.
That's what I'm going to do. I'll let you know if I survive.

Seriously, I gave them a good soak several times. They should be fine.

How do you harvest cabbage? Just take up the whole plant? Or twist
out the cabbage itself? Any recipe ideas? I have 4 cabbages also,
one ready to harvest.

I'm not sure about the harvesting as it is our first year growing them.
I'm planning to cut the whole plant.

I tried to twist, but it didn't twist very well. I ended up twisting
the entire plant out of the ground.

Fried some in butter, sweet paprika, and some seasonings. Any other
recipe ideas?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
~patches~

GK wrote:
~patches~ wrote:

My spray says to wait 7 days after spraying to harvest cabbage.
That's what I'm going to do. I'll let you know if I survive.

Seriously, I gave them a good soak several times. They should be fine.

How do you harvest cabbage? Just take up the whole plant? Or twist
out the cabbage itself? Any recipe ideas? I have 4 cabbages also,
one ready to harvest.

I'm not sure about the harvesting as it is our first year growing
them. I'm planning to cut the whole plant.

I tried to twist, but it didn't twist very well. I ended up twisting
the entire plant out of the ground.

Fried some in butter, sweet paprika, and some seasonings. Any other
recipe ideas?

I can't help you much with cabbage recipes as I only make 3 things with
cabbage. They a cabbage rolls, sauerkraut, and coleslaw.

Here's how I do the cabbage rolls.

stuffing: cooked long grain rice, browned ground beef, salt & pepper to
taste, chopped onion, sometimes I add chopped herbs like basil

wraps: drop cabbage head into boiling water until leaves are almost
translucent, remove leaves one at a time; repeat if necessary

to assemble: place about 3 tbsp of stuffing into centre of leaf, tuck
ends over then roll and place in casserole dish, continue this way until
you've used up the stuffing and leaves, pour tomato sauce (I use a
homemade roasted tomato sauce) over the rolls and bake in oven

These freeze well!