Old 16-08-2005, 10:06 PM
James

Default When is tomato sweetest?

Does leaving them on the vine till totally red taste any better than
picking them a week or so before?

Does chilling or cooking improve flavor?

I don't got that much to experiment so I'm asking.

Old 16-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Marcella Peek

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

Does leaving them on the vine till totally red taste any better than
picking them a week or so before?

I like most tomatoes when they just get soft around the stem area. ipe

Does chilling or cooking improve flavor?

Chilling tends to make tomatoes mealy. Room temp is much better.
Cooking depends on the variety, but it's a different flavor

marcella
Old 17-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On 16 Aug 2005 14:06:04 -0700, "James" wrote:

Does leaving them on the vine till totally red taste any better than
picking them a week or so before?

In my opinion-- and with my experience with only a dozen or so
varieties, yes. Your taste buds, and different varieties may vary.

Does chilling or cooking improve flavor?

Again- IMO, & IME - Chilling *steals* flavor. Cooking *changes*
flavor.

Drying, though, imo -- and mostly with Roma tomatoes in an inexpensive
dehydrator, fully ripened & sliced lengthwise to 1/4 inch- sweetens
them up a notch. Once dried I store them in a freezerbag & have
used them in salads and sauces several years later with no change in
flavor.

I don't got that much to experiment so I'm asking.

Next year plant more & try a few varieties. g Different
varieties like different weather conditions, so you're more likely to
get a variety that loves 'this years conditions'.

Jim
Old 17-08-2005, 03:32 PM
FDR

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On 16 Aug 2005 14:06:04 -0700, "James" wrote:

Does leaving them on the vine till totally red taste any better than
picking them a week or so before?

In my opinion-- and with my experience with only a dozen or so
varieties, yes. Your taste buds, and different varieties may vary.

Does chilling or cooking improve flavor?

Again- IMO, & IME - Chilling *steals* flavor. Cooking *changes*
flavor.

Drying, though, imo -- and mostly with Roma tomatoes in an inexpensive
dehydrator, fully ripened & sliced lengthwise to 1/4 inch- sweetens
them up a notch.

I heard somewhere that dried tomatos have more carbohydrates tnan non-dried.
Guess that's why they taste sweeter.