Old 17-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Me

Default Corn tastes bad...

.... planted Sweet Corn here in Zone 5 NE Indiana and it looks GREAT
but has no 'sweet' flavor.. did I wait too long to pick it?

Old 17-08-2005, 03:54 AM
James

Some modern sweet corn cannot be grown near other corn.

Old 17-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Al Reid

"Me" wrote in message ...

... planted Sweet Corn here in Zone 5 NE Indiana and it looks GREAT
but has no 'sweet' flavor.. did I wait too long to pick it?

Probably. If you wait to long to pick, it turns from sweet to starchy. DAMHITK

Old 17-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Dusty Bleher

G'day all;

"Me" wrote in message

... planted Sweet Corn here in Zone 5 NE Indiana and it looks GREAT
but has no 'sweet' flavor.. did I wait too long to pick it?

A number of things can affect the flavor. Picking too late is the most
likely culprit.

I grew up in western New York, so I've eaten a cob or two in my days. But,
for all the cooking of corn that goes on there, it wasn't until much later
in life that I learned how to really cook it and get that fine sweet taste
everybody seems to crave.

When you cook the corn in water, you end up throwing away the majority of
the flavor. I've found that soaking the corn in the husk, shucking the
coarse outer layers of husk and cutting off the long tassels, wrapping it in
foil, and then tossing it on the BBQ or into a hot oven, was the best. The
moisture in the husk is all the water you need for cooking it (it steams,
actually), and none of the flavor is washed away.

We enjoy it like that...although, as usual with things subjective,
YMMV...(:-o)!

DustyB
San Jose

Old 17-08-2005, 05:25 PM
FDR

"Dusty Bleher" wrote in message
G'day all;

"Me" wrote in message

[...]

How long do you cook it?

Old 18-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Steve

Me wrote:
... planted Sweet Corn here in Zone 5 NE Indiana and it looks GREAT
but has no 'sweet' flavor.. did I wait too long to pick it?

You don't happen to remember which variety you planted, do you?

Steve