GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Favorite Magazine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/10344-favorite-magazine.html)

Pat Meadows 15-03-2003 10:56 PM

Favorite Magazine

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:04:06 -0800, "Tracy"
wrote:

Pat,
Please tell me the names of the other American magazines devoted to edible
plants, I am *very* interested to know their names. I thought I knew all the
gardening magazines out there.

I generally check facts first, well...serves me right. I
should have done the research before I said that. Well, OK,
I'll do it now.

The first two certainly qualify as 'devoted to edible
plants', the rest may/may not qualify. Several certainly
appear that they do qualify to me, but I can't guarantee it.
But, for instance, 'The Fruit Growers' News' sure sounds
like it's about edible plants to me.

Anyway, here's the list.

'Pomona Magazine' - the journal of the North American Fruit
Explorers Association (NAFEX)

'OG' (formerly Organic Gardening), for one. Definitely
devoted to edible plants, occasional articles about flowers.

The rest are in no particular order, just as I came across
them:

'The Heirloom Gardener, The Magazine For Serious Gardeners'

'Practical Winery and Vineyard Magazine'

'The Herb Quarterly Magazine'

'Herb Companion Magazine'

'American Vineyard'

'American Journal of Enology & Viticulture'

'The Fruit Grower's News'

'Mother Earth News' - as much about gardening as anything
else, and the gardening is generally of the edible type.

'Backwoods Home Magazine' - lots of gardening articles -
edible type.

'Market Gardening Concepts' - Canadian magazine.

'Dry Country News' - southwestern gardening

'Home Grown - Good Sense Organic Gardening for Texas' (may
qualify, I'm not sure)

'Urban Agriculture Magazine' - Canadian

'Growing for Market: News and Ideas for Market Gardeners'

'The Community Farm: A Voice for Community Supported
Agriculture'

'Journal of Small Fruit and Viticulture'

'Spudman: The Voice of the Potato Industry'

'The Heirloom Gardener Magazine'

'Ohio Master Gardener Magazine'

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Pam Rudd 16-03-2003 03:08 AM

Favorite Magazine

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:45:50 GMT,
Pat Meadows scribbled:

'The Heirloom Gardener, The Magazine For Serious Gardeners'

'The Heirloom Gardener Magazine'

These two are the same magazine. You can subscribe
at http://members.getgoin.net/~jgettle/magazine.html

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

TMehlin 18-03-2003 03:32 AM

Favorite Magazine

Wow, Pat. You wouldn't be a librarian, would you?
I guess I meant a "glossy" magazine that compares to what Kitchen Gardener
from Taunton used to be. But I get your point. There are American
magazines/newsletter devoted to edibles (especially fruit)!
-Tracy

Pat Meadows 18-03-2003 12:44 PM

Favorite Magazine

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:13:58 -0800, "TMehlin"
wrote:

Wow, Pat. You wouldn't be a librarian, would you?

No, not a librarian, but I know how to find things on the
Web - which is actually pretty easy, most times.

I *try* to be careful not to make statements of fact (other
than my own personal experiences) in newsgroups unless I
either (a) already have references or (b) I'm sure I can
find them. Sometimes I'm not as careful as I might be, but
I do try, at least.

I guess I meant a "glossy" magazine that compares to what Kitchen Gardener
from Taunton used to be. But I get your point. There are American
magazines/newsletter devoted to edibles (especially fruit)!

Yes, I came across the site of the now-defunct 'Kitchen
Gardener' and it looks as if it was very nice. What a shame
that it's gone!

Pat