Old 27-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Mozie's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Talking

Ok, so here's my plan. I don't have a lot of garden space so I'm thinking of planting the asparagus seeds in pots approx 20" in diametre by 30" deep. I'll use a light potting mix with about a 1/4 fertilizer/manure to start. Is 1 seed per pot ok? or can I have more per pot? I'll keep them in pots for the first year, fertilizing every month or so. Too much? Thereafter I'll plant them in the ground among my tomatoes and other vegies - well I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks everyone
Old 27-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Gary Woods

Default Growing Asparagus from seeds

Mozie wrote:

Ok, so here's my plan. I don't have a lot of garden space so I'm
thinking of planting the asparagus seeds in pots approx 20" in diametre
by 30" deep. I'll use a light potting mix with about a 1/4
fertilizer/manure to start. Is 1 seed per pot ok?

I can tell you what I did. There is no warranty, express or implied:

Seeds in regular flats on a 1" grid. Grown for a couple/three months, then
transplanted to nursery bed 6" by 6". You can expect 1-year crowns to get
fist sized and be ready for transplanting to their permanent home the next
season. With good conditions, some will be big enough for a light cutting
the next season.

Old 30-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Gary Woods

Mozie wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what are "regular flats on a 1" grid"...

In this case, I was just referring to the plastic trays plants are commonly
sold in, which gardeners customarily save too many of. Typically, six of
these fit into a larger holder, which is how the greenhouse folk handle
them. As the other reply said, the "grid" is just a 1" X 1" planting
pattern. And not all that precise; the really obsessive folk have a
"dibble board" with pegs or spikes at the desired spacing to make a nice
even array of planting holes. I've thought of doing that, but haven't gone
_completely_ 'round the bend yet.

Old 18-12-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mozie wrote:

What do you think?
[image: http://www.rae.co.za/Asparagus.htm]

Very pretty! Those babies will be in fine shape to plant out in the
spring, and into a permanent bed the next year....

Good show!

Old 19-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Mozie's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Woods
Mozie wrote:

What do you think?
[image:
http://www.rae.co.za/Asparagus.htm]

Very pretty! Those babies will be in fine shape to plant out in the
spring, and into a permanent bed the next year....

Good show!

PHEW THANKS I thought they were too spindly looking! So this is how they are s'posed to look then? Thanks. I'm actually in the southern hemisphere, so it's summer here (our seasons are opposite). How big should they be when I plant them out? I'm thinking of doing that next month, ie planting them in a BIG pot, leaving them for a year then plant them in the ground? This is such a learning curve for me, but I'm enjoying it

Thanks again