Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Martin McCaffery

Default When to give up on Tomatoes

Here in central Alabama it is still in the 70's. It did get into the low
30's a couple of nights. I have a few tomatoes on which the fruit
continues to get larger, but doesn't seem to want to ripen. They're only
getting a couple of hours of sun right now. The cherry size Hungarian
Yellows continue to ripen, but the bigger varieties don't seem to do
much, though I had one fruit start to blush after the cold snap, so it
is probably possible.

I should probably give up, but this second round of tomatoes are the
survivors of the squirrel carnage earlier this season. And why did the
squirrels give up on the tomatoes anyway?

TIA

--
Martin McCaffery
Director
Old 05-11-2005, 12:58 AM
TQ

As long as the plants are healthy, I'd leave 'em go. You might end up with
a red one in time for Xmas.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:04 AM
simy1

the squirrels gave up when they found other sources of water that they
liked better (berries perhaps). Put out a pan of water for them when it
is hot and dry, wait for them to get used to it ( it takes a few
weeks), keep it consistently filled with water, and you will see that
the tomatoes will be safe.