GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hoop tunnels. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/109543-hoop-tunnels.html)

James 03-12-2005 03:18 AM

Hoop tunnels.

Does anyone here use these to grow things in the winter?

simy1 03-12-2005 03:36 AM

Hoop tunnels.

yes.

GA Pinhead 03-12-2005 03:42 AM

Hoop tunnels.

Sure, it just depends where here is for you and what you want to grow.

John!

James 03-12-2005 06:55 AM

Hoop tunnels.

Here where average temps range from 20F night to 50F day.

I want to grow anything edible. Tried radishes without cover but
freezing night temperature got them.

GA Pinhead 03-12-2005 05:41 PM

Hoop tunnels.

Collards, spinach, lettuce, mustard greens, cilantro, kale

John!

simy1 03-12-2005 10:33 PM

Hoop tunnels.

It is late to start regular winter veggies. I have radicchio, kale, bok
choi and collards, all started between June and August. The temperature
has not been above freezing in 4 days here, but of course it is above
in the hoophouses. Today I harvested a bucket of assorted greens, all
unfrozen.

If you put a hoophouse on the garden now, you would be better off
starting lettuce, arugula or radishes. Spring things that sprout even
in cold soil.

gonzo 06-12-2005 09:35 PM

Hoop tunnels.

Eliot Coleman is a big proponent of hoop houses - he says they shift
you 2 zones south.

My experience in zone 5 bears this out. Cool weather crops should be
planted late in the season, but not too late. They should get close to
mature before your really cold weather hits. I had radish, chinese
cabbage, lettuce, beets, onions and 1 pea plant before we got nailed
with sub-zero temps. Now I have to wait until late feb/early march to
get things going again.

In general, daytime 30-40 degrees can produce temps in the hoophouse
50-70, depending on sunlight of course :)