GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   brambles...training ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/110240-brambles-training.html)

Purple Hugs 01-01-2006 05:52 PM

brambles...training ?

Are you able to train brambles onto a trellis?

I have moved into a house with loads of bramles against a fence, (at the bottom) and as I have children (one of my own and 2 or more fostered) I am not keen on the idea of a prickly garden, however we go bramble picking each autumn, so I'm wondering about keeping them, but making them safe.

Any idea's gratefully received.
Thanks,

OmManiPadmeOmelet 01-01-2006 09:42 PM

brambles...training ?

In article ,
Purple Hugs wrote:

Are you able to train brambles onto a trellis?

I've trained them on to trees so I don't see why not. :-)

I have moved into a house with loads of bramles against a fence, (at
the bottom) and as I have children (one of my own and 2 or more
fostered) I am not keen on the idea of a prickly garden, however we go
bramble picking each autumn, so I'm wondering about keeping them, but
making them safe.

Give it a shot.
You can always kill them later...
Personally, I like brambles.

Did not know they were edible??????????

--
Om.

Purple Hugs 02-01-2006 09:41 AM

Thanks, :D That's a good idea to train up tree's too! :) Although my tree's in the garden are too little to be of any use I expect. I'll have a go at training them though.
You didn't know they were edible? The fruit? mmm... are we talking same thing here ?
Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

Thanks again.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 02-01-2006 03:50 PM

brambles...training ?

In article ,
Purple Hugs wrote:

Thanks, :D That's a good idea to train up tree's too! :) Although my
tree's in the garden are too little to be of any use I expect. I'll
have a go at training them though.
You didn't know they were edible? The fruit? mmm... are we talking same
thing here ?
Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

Thanks again.

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries!
Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

I have thornless blackberries here that I planted and I tie them to
trellis to control them. Works fine!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Purple Hugs 02-01-2006 08:34 PM

lol that's regional differences for you eh!?
Thanks, :D

Doug Freyburger 03-01-2006 04:33 PM

brambles...training ?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Purple Hugs wrote:

Blackberries / brambles same thing to me, have I got it wrong?

No, I did not know you were talking about Blackberries!
Brambles here in Texas are a type of Liana. Not related.

Here's what www.dictionary.com has to say about brambles:

bram·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brmbl) n.
1) A prickly shrub of the genus Rubus, including the blackberry and the raspberry.
2) A prickly shrub or bush.

[Middle English brembel, from Old English brĉmbel.]

I knew that berries are prickly from picking berries as a small child.
I thought brambles comes from the prickers as in definition two.
It never occured to me that the origin of the word would go the
other way around - berries to thorns vs thorns to berries.