Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default asparagus?

Hello,

I have a place in Northern Missouri (Zone 5 I think), and was
considering trying to make some money growing asparagus. Perhaps, I
thought, I may try to growing white asparagus using mulch to keep it in
the dark. I thought about buying crowns instead of seeds, but I am
still undecided. I also don't know which variety to buy. I want
something that taste good. A hybrid with all male plants, but I have
read that hybrid asparagus doesn't taste as good as non-hybrid
varieties. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Buy 2 year crowns. If you don't, you will be waiting for 2 or 3 years
before being able to harvest any.

I bought hybrid and thought it was very good, but the only difference is
that the female plants use energy making seeds rather than roots.

I would also suggest putting it in a raised bed in full sun with the bottom
8 inches filled with aged manure from stock yards. Add 2 inches of dirt and
plant the roots. Then cover the roots 2 or 3 inches at a time until you
have at least 6 inches of dirt on top.

Surround the raised beds with a perimeter of gravel or something else that
stops the growth of crabgrass. Have fun and let us know how you made out.

Dwayne

oups.com...