GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cheap and easy labels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/11518-cheap-easy-labels.html)

Monique Reed 24-03-2003 07:08 PM

Cheap and easy labels

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

Monique in TX

Polar 24-03-2003 07:56 PM

Cheap and easy labels

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:42:53 -0600, Monique Reed
wrote:

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

Glad this is being posted. I have used them for years. Found a bunch
in somebody's trash bin. The ones I use are plastic; seem to do OK.

--
Polar

Setzler 27-03-2003 12:32 PM

Cheap and easy labels

another cheap, free, label source is sour cream and yogurt and cottage cheese
containers. Cut off the top and bottom and cut into strips.

susan

Pen 27-03-2003 11:20 PM

Cheap and easy labels

Home Depot usually have trimmed end pieces of blinds in their Decor
centre. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked to take some home.
Is there a method of engraving of embossing onto metal? I'd love to
make some permanent metal tags.

Anna Merchant 28-03-2003 04:08 AM

Cheap and easy labels

I use plastic icecream container lids. Also our local $2 shop sells packets
of labels which i find quite handy. Use a pencil and they are reusable.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Raffi Kojian 28-03-2003 05:32 PM

Cheap and easy labels

(Pen) wrote in message . com...
Home Depot usually have trimmed end pieces of blinds in their Decor
centre. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked to take some home.
Is there a method of engraving of embossing onto metal? I'd love to
make some permanent metal tags.

I think copper would be best for that, thick enough to be solid, while
thin enough to be able to emboss it with a dull nail or something...

Glenna Rose 28-03-2003 06:08 PM

Cheap and easy labels

writes:
I think copper would be best for that, thick enough to be solid, while
thin enough to be able to emboss it with a dull nail or something...

After I had purchased several lovely copper plant marker "stands" to put
in the garden at row heads, my middle son said to me, "Mom, doesn't copper
kill plants? They use copper nails to spike trees to kill them."

Though I did no research to find out, I didn't use those lovely copper
stakes. Does anyone know if copper used this way is damaging to the
plants?

Glenna

tom hooper 29-03-2003 12:32 PM

Cheap and easy labels

Copper is used in antifouling paint for the bottom of boats & ships because it
is toxic to aquatic plant and animal life.

Frogleg 30-03-2003 03:20 PM

Cheap and easy labels

wrote:

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

OTOH, you can buy 80 6" plastic markers for $3.75 (+s&h) from

http://www.superseeds.com/planting_supplies.htm

These are doubtless available other places. Although, as I
web-searched, not as common as they once were. Of course, if one
*happens* to have been keeping old miniblinds around, and a pair of
heavy-duty shears, and an idle afternoon...