Old 30-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Cdonahey41

Default White Poppy Seeds

I bought some white poppy seeds for cooking and plan to plant some. What kind
of plant, flower can I expect? Do I plant them in the early spring like other
poppy seeds?
Old 30-03-2003, 09:44 AM
yew

"Cdonahey41" wrote:

I bought some white poppy seeds for cooking
and plan to plant some. What kind of plant, flower
can I expect? Do I plant them in the early spring like other
poppy seeds?

These will be Papaver somniferum (a.ka. opium poppies). They bloom in a
variety of shades, but purple is the most common.

Brina

Old 30-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Setzler

I have had some white poppy seeds. They were called Elka poppy. I also had
another, can't remember the name. They were both used as substitutes for nuts in
Russia, until later. You may or may not get them to germinate, depending on how
old they are. I think the Elka poppies are lavender. Some of them had both gray
and white seeds in them. They don't dump their seeds like other somniferum
poppies, you'll have to open them and dump them when they are ready.

All edible poppies are the somniferum, and supposedly illegal to grow,
but........they're beautiful

susan

Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Jim Carter

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:46:53 GMT, John Savage wrote
in rec.gardens.edible:

(Cdonahey41) writes:
I bought some white poppy seeds for cooking and plan to plant some. What kind
of plant, flower can I expect? Do I plant them in the early spring like other
poppy seeds?

Any poppy seeds sold here (Australia) would have been heat treated
first so that they will not germinate. Just imagine if they weren't!

Eden Seeds in Australia lists two different types as well as a mix of poppy
seeds that they sell.

http://edenseeds.com.au/content/seed...ion=3&letter=P
--
Spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate
to catch copyright violators. ©¿©¬

Old 12-04-2003, 02:08 AM
John Savage

Jim Carter writes:
(Cdonahey41) writes:
I bought some white poppy seeds for cooking and plan to plant some. What kind
of plant, flower can I expect? Do I plant them in the early spring like other
poppy seeds?

Any poppy seeds sold here (Australia) would have been heat treated
first so that they will not germinate. Just imagine if they weren't!

Eden Seeds in Australia lists two different types as well as a mix of poppy
seeds that they sell.

http://edenseeds.com.au/content/seed...ion=3&letter=P

Well, yes, they do sell *some* poppy seeds, but I don't know that I'd
recommend they be used in cooking!

AFAIK the only poppy seeds used in cooking are those of the opium poppy.
There are large plantations of opium poppies cultivated in Tasmania under
tight security (much tighter than that in Afghanistan), with the opium
itself sold for medicinal processing and the seeds heat treated then
marketed for culinary uses. The seeds are heat treated to prevent them
germinating if someone decides to try planting them in the home garden.
These seeds are usually black. Perhaps the white ones the OP mentions are
a different variety from the common one? A search on google brought up:

! Persian White Opium Poppy
!
! Pure white blooms of a Persian heirloom. Light colored seeds.
!
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)