GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Tomatoes....HELP! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/12584-growing-tomatoes-help.html)

Kenofnyc212 01-04-2003 07:20 PM

Growing Tomatoes....HELP!

Would I be able to start and grow a Tomato Plant in a small Apt. in NYC?
It gets somewhat limited sunlight for about 5 hrs, by the window.
It really doesnt matter what type of tomatoes.. cherry, steak, etc...
I'll take them anyway I can get them.
Thanks in advance for any help.

kenofnyc212

Little Badger 01-04-2003 07:20 PM

Growing Tomatoes....HELP!

Ken
It's always worth a try!
If you can, buy a pre-grown tomato plant from a store!

Badger

om...

Steve Calvin 01-04-2003 07:56 PM

Growing Tomatoes....HELP!

Little Badger wrote:
Ken
It's always worth a try!
If you can, buy a pre-grown tomato plant from a store!

Badger

"Kenofnyc212" wrote in message
om...

Would I be able to start and grow a Tomato Plant in a small Apt. in NYC?
It gets somewhat limited sunlight for about 5 hrs, by the window.
It really doesnt matter what type of tomatoes.. cherry, steak, etc...
I'll take them anyway I can get them.
Thanks in advance for any help.

kenofnyc212

No reason that it shouldn't be possible. Check out
http://www.seedman.com/Rachel/Tomato.htm for various dwarf types of plants.

--
Steve

Pat Meadows 01-04-2003 08:08 PM

Growing Tomatoes....HELP!

On 1 Apr 2003 09:51:48 -0800,
(Kenofnyc212) wrote:

Would I be able to start and grow a Tomato Plant in a small Apt. in NYC?
It gets somewhat limited sunlight for about 5 hrs, by the window.
It really doesnt matter what type of tomatoes.. cherry, steak, etc...
I'll take them anyway I can get them.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am guessing (a guess based on quite a bit of experience):

No, it wouldn't work unless you supplement your limited
sunlight with quite a bit of artificial lighting
(fluorescent lights).

There are miniature tomato plants ('Red Robin' is the
varietal name of one of them) and small-ish (not miniature)
tomato plants, also. But all tomatoes really need lots and
lots of sunshine (or other lighting).

You could probably grow lettuce and other salad greens
though, maybe some herbs too.

Pat