Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered User

Angry growing veg without a garden

I live in a flat but fancy having a go a growing some veg indoors,want veg can you grow indoors in pots. Never grown anything before but fancy having a go this year and trying from seed.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

Default growing veg without a garden

We had the most amazing vegetable garden once on a sunny three by six
foot balcony. We had rather little money, so we used leaf mold in
5-gallon buckets from the bakery and trashbag-lined boxes and fruit
crates. We had peppers, melons, lettuce, radishes, carrots, cukes,
zucchini, and tomatoes in remarkable quantity. If you don't have a
balcony, a sunny window might work, but you'd have to pollinate
fruiting vegetables with a paintbrush.

Old 17-03-2006, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

Sorry 4 my ignorance but how did you get the leaf mold?

Old 20-03-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

sneaks writes:
I live in a flat but fancy having a go a growing some veg indoors,want
veg can you grow indoors in pots. Never grown anything before but fancy
having a go this year and trying from seed.

I agree with another poster who suggested the leafy herbs, assuming
you can use fresh herbs that is! Also, mustard and cress because they
grow quickly. Just monitor these for aphids. Nasturtium are easy, but
get the big semi-wild type, not the small decorative ones. Then progress
to lettuce and celery, as both of these can be picked and eaten at any
stage, or have just one leaf plucked as you need it. Soil and sunlight
are very important. Unless you are going to rig up lights, you'll need
a sunny balcony to provide almost the full day of direct light (of
course, this depends a bit on where you live). For soil, plenty of
nitrogen--lots of rotted manure is ideal. With pots sitting in the sun
the potting mix dries out quickly, so daily watering is probably needed.
You'll be able to gauge this by the way they droop at midday.

Old 25-03-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

Went up into the California foothills on some family property, swept
the oak leaves aside, and took the composted leafmold from beneath.
Great stuff.