GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pumpkin leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/13882-pumpkin-leaves.html)

Right Star 05-04-2003 06:20 PM

Pumpkin leaves

Last year in Bangladesh, I was served what they called "Bangladeshi Spinach". I
knew it had no relation to real spinach, but I was told later that it was
pumpkin leaves. That's what they looked like in the market place too. I liked
it, and would like to grow the stuff myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

yew 06-04-2003 07:56 AM

Pumpkin leaves

"Right Star" wrote:

I liked it, and would like to grow the stuff
myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will
anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

Nope. Any will do, just eat 'em whilst they're young and tender.

Brina

Glenna Rose 07-04-2003 12:20 AM

Pumpkin leaves

writes:
"Right Star" wrote:

I liked it, and would like to grow the stuff
myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will
anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

Nope. Any will do, just eat 'em whilst they're young and tender.

Brina

Wow! Wish I'd known this earlier. You cannot believe the number of
pumpkin leaves I've cut and tossed from the garden. Two sugar pumpkin
plants three years ago have multiplied into more than can be given away
(plants or pumpkins). They really do like to "take over" the garden. I
learned the first year to not plant them in the regular garden, but the
volunteers that I didn't have the heart to pull kinda overwhelmed the
garden after I left only four plants there.

Looks like I'll try pumpkin leaves this year. Anyone have suggestions as
to how they are best served? (Vinegar like spinach, or butter, or ... ?)

Glenna

zxcvbob 07-04-2003 03:32 AM

Pumpkin leaves

Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:
"Right Star" wrote:

[...]

I bought some pumpkin vine tips last year and tried stir-frying them;
they tasted nasty. :-P Kind of bitter, but not a good bitter like
mustard. I dunno, I thought they were disgusting. I'm sure I didn't
cook them right, but I don't think anything could have helped much.

Best regards,
Bob

Right Star 12-04-2003 04:56 PM

Pumpkin leaves

Looks like I'll try pumpkin leaves this year. Anyone have suggestions as
to how they are best served? (Vinegar like spinach, or butter, or

I'm trying to remember how they were served to me there. I'm sure without
butter. I think just steamed, but can't recall. I would think vinegar would be
a good start, but I guess we'll have to just experiment. I plan to email some
Bangladeshi friends and see if they can help. If so, I'll let you know!
--Ray

Right Star 20-04-2003 02:32 PM

Pumpkin leaves

[...]

Well, its not much help, but here's the reply I just got from friends in
Bangladesh:

Cooking pumpkin greens? Oh any of about 1,243 ways. Boiling is OK, Stir fried
probably a bit tastier, either alone or with potatoes or tomatoes. Its only
greens, you can use your imagination with it.

cortes0505 27-07-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbob (Post 79914)
Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:
"Right Star" wrote:

[...]

Hi there,

My girlfriend is from Bangladesh. She was very excited to see a pumpkin plant in my back yard, and she insisted that I must eat the leaves. We cut about a dozen leaves. Don't take older, large leaves. Medium size, newish, are best. Wash the leaves. In a skillet (I used a round bottomed one, I think they're called a kadai) heat some oil. Cut up some garlic and onion. Sautee the garlic and onion until the onion is clear, slightly brown. Cut up a green chile or two, according to desired level of heat, and add. Add the leaves and some ground turmeric. Cook thoroughly. There should be enough moisture in the leaves to keep the entire mixture moist, but you can add a spoonful of water or two if needed. When very well cooked, serve over hot rice. Eat it the indian way, with your fingers, for best results. Delicious!

craiggwillson 24-05-2011 07:49 PM

You cannot accept the amount of pumpkin leaves I've cut and tossed from the garden. Two amoroso pumpkin plants three years ago accept assorted into added than can be accustomed away (plants or pumpkins). They absolutely do like to "take over" the garden.