Old 18-05-2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Broad Beans

Hello, we are growing broad beans for the first time. We were told we
have to "pinch out the tops" to allow them to flower more. What
exactly does this mean??? At what height do we do it? thanks

Old 19-05-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, we are growing broad beans for the first time. We were told

we
have to "pinch out the tops" to allow them to flower more. What
exactly does this mean??? At what height do we do it? thanks

Knee height. And just use your finger and thumb to pinch out the
topmost growing bit.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin

Hi All,
The reason that you pinch out the tops of the broad bean plant is twofold. 1
to encourage the beans to fill out. 2 to deter the black fly, As black fly
are sap suckers they will go for the soft tissue, As opposed to the tough
tissue lower down the plant. When you pinch out the tops you remove the soft
tissue, And so deter the black fly. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

oups.com...

Old 21-05-2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The growth tip of a plant is called the "apical meristem". If you "nip
it in the bud" it causes the plant to branch. I've been told that this
allows the roots to catch their breath so to speak.