Old 14-06-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Default help needed. Need a good catalog house that sells strawberry , other fruits and vegetables over the mail.

Mark wrote:
Hi!
Thank everybody for help very much.
Any attention given to my posting is appreciated very much.
I need a good catalog house that sells strawberry , other fruits and
vegetables over the mail.

The criterias listed in order of priorities from 1 - is the most
important, 10--least important.
must be good variety of fruit and vegetable. Must:
1. taste real good. How good it is for transsportation does not matter
for me.
2. Grow in San Diego.
3. be kind of easy to grow for newbie like me, I guess it should be
pretty resistent to pests by itself without insecticides. Should be
able to grow on a slope.
5. Should be able to grow good even if I miss a week or two and do not
take care of weeds.
6. Give as many crops as possible.
7. Price is also important

Regards.

I would assume Seeds of Change will satisfy your requirements, but
there are other, more regional catalogs. I, for example, buy everything
from Territorial Seeds, which specializes in northern varieties. Have
you considered a Google search?

Old 15-06-2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dianna Visek

Generally people start vegies from seed or buy plants locally. Fruit
is a different matter, and different catalogs sepcialize in different
things. For example, there are good berry houses, such as Nourse
Farms. Raintree Nursery is good for fruit trees. Expecting to buy
everything from one dealer is unrealistic.

Your best bet is to talk to your local Cooperative Extension office
and find out what grows well in your microclimate. Then find out what
would interest you and fit in with your time and other constraints.
Start small so you have time to learn. Gardeners aren't made
overnight.

Regarrds, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 15-06-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

Thanks a lot.

you are saying Generally people start vegies from seed or buy plants
locally
Why it can not be done from catalog same way as berrys? and why it has
to be seeds not already existing small plants?

Old 15-06-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On 15 Jun 2006 07:33:09 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

Thanks a lot.

you are saying Generally people start vegies from seed or buy plants
locally
Why it can not be done from catalog same way as berrys? and why it has
to be seeds not already existing small plants?

Trees and berry plants (and some other things) are shipped when they
are dormant so getting dry or too hot or too cold is not a problem.
Most vegetables are tender annuals and cannot take very hot or very
cold weather. Shipping them more than about a 1 day trip is a real
question mark. Besides shipping would cost more than the plants. A
package of vegetable seeds cost from $1 to maybe $3 and has 30 to more
than 1000 seeds in it. I can also buy locally a 4 pack of vegetable
plants for less than $2.

If you do not want to start from seeds yourself, go to a local nursery
and but plants there. Most nurseries carry plants that do well in
their location and they have knowledgeable people there.

If you are determined to buy something through the Internet, try
Burpee. See if they will ship something to you now.
--
Susan N.

Old 15-06-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dianna Visek

It's expensive to ship plants, plus it stresses them. And you can't
ship when it's too cold or too warm Or over a weekend. I generally
mail order fruit and other plants when they're bareroot. For my area,
the best time to plant bareroot plants is the first week of April.

Vegiie plants tend to be brittle, which makes shipping even more
difficult. Starting from seed is easy and allows control over the
process, which is why so many gardeners go that route. Generally
annuals (which encompasses most vegies) are bought locally or started
from seeds, while perennials are more suitable for shipping.

I think you need to do some serious reading before you start ordering
or planting.

Regards, Dianna

Old 17-06-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Anna

I have had good luck with Gurneys. They ship at the time of year that is
good for your location.