Old 17-06-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

Default Cantalope Question

I'd think that the weeds will compete with your cantaloupe for water.
Sue
Los Banos, CA - cantaloupe country.

On 17 Jun 2006 06:41:50 -0700, "AndyS" wrote:

Andy writes:
Well, my garden is doing well and I have prolific cantalope growing.
I have
noticed that the cantalope vines come out of the hill, and spread all
around
for 10 feet or so, never penetrating the ground. So it is obvious that
all
the nutrients and water are coming thru the hill they are planted
in.,..,

So, here is an idea I might try next year....

I plan to make a raised "hill" of, maybe, 1 foot on a side and 6
inches high,
bounded by landscape timbers or a metal ring...

I figure I can just water the hill , and keep it weed free, and let
the rest
of the garden go to hell with grass and weeds. Since the cantalope
grows
ONLY from the hill, and the vines just rest on the surrounding terrain,
it
doesn't matter what happens to anything but the hill.....

So, does anyone have a clue as to whether this idea will work ? Or
am I overlooking some basic fact of gardening that would require me to
keep the surroundings weed free for the spread of the vines ?

Thanks for any discussion on this matter......

.. Oh..... and would the same apply to cucumbers and watermellons. ?

Andy in Eureka , Texas

Old 17-06-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Butzmark

Andy writes:
[...]

The way I do it is to mound up some of my best dirt with some manure
in it and run a piece of drip hose down the middle. You won't be able
to get in and water too well once the vines start growing. It's a big
plant and as all the water's coming from that little mound it needs
allot of water. I mulch around the mound. I've used plastic and also
newspaper covered with grass clippings. If you leave it bare the weeds
will comperte with the vines for light and go to seed too.

This works well as a garden rotation method as the melon patch mostly
rests for a season. Then I move it the next year to another spot. If
you're putting a garden on grass it's good for that too as the only
spot to clear is where the mound is. The grass dies under the mulch
and is ready for the next year.

Watermelons are the same. Right now I have a mound about the size of a
grave. I'm trying a mulch of green plastic which is supposed to be
good for melons.