GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Insect holes in pole bean leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147292-insect-holes-pole-bean-leaves.html)

butch burton 02-07-2006 03:56 PM

Insect holes in pole bean leaves

A few of my pole bean leaves have insect holes in them - tried spraying
them with a water and a bit of detergent - burned the leaves. What can
I put on the leaves to stop the insect damage?

Granny had me spraying some kind of dust on them years ago - think it
was sevin - that still the best option?

Thanks

TQ 03-07-2006 01:19 AM

Insect holes in pole bean leaves

"butch burton" wrote in message
oups.com...
A few of my pole bean leaves have insect holes in them - tried spraying
them with a water and a bit of detergent - burned the leaves. What can
I put on the leaves to stop the insect damage?

Granny had me spraying some kind of dust on them years ago - think it
was sevin - that still the best option?

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

James 03-07-2006 06:24 PM

TQ wrote:

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

How would I go able dusting the underside of leaves?

TQ 03-07-2006 08:49 PM

Insect holes in pole bean leaves

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

TQ wrote:

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be

sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit

the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

How would I go able dusting the underside of leaves?

You/d need a mechanical dust applicator with an adjustable nozzle tip for a
large plot. For small plots, you/d have to roll the leaves over by hand.

Applying dust to the tops will get most of the pests, but not all. This
would give you some measure of control and depending on how bad the bugs
are, it may be enough.

A Sevin spray (or wettable powder) would be easier to apply, so that may be
a better solution.