Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
butch burton

Default Insect holes in pole bean leaves

A few of my pole bean leaves have insect holes in them - tried spraying
them with a water and a bit of detergent - burned the leaves. What can
I put on the leaves to stop the insect damage?

Granny had me spraying some kind of dust on them years ago - think it
was sevin - that still the best option?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"butch burton" wrote in message
oups.com...
A few of my pole bean leaves have insect holes in them - tried spraying
them with a water and a bit of detergent - burned the leaves. What can
I put on the leaves to stop the insect damage?

Granny had me spraying some kind of dust on them years ago - think it
was sevin - that still the best option?

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

TQ wrote:

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

How would I go able dusting the underside of leaves?

Old 03-07-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

TQ wrote:

Possibly bean beetle damage. Sevin or Rotenone will control them. Be

sure
to get the leave/s undersides. If the vines are in flower, try to limit

the
application to the leaves to avoid killing your pollenators.

How would I go able dusting the underside of leaves?

You/d need a mechanical dust applicator with an adjustable nozzle tip for a
large plot. For small plots, you/d have to roll the leaves over by hand.

Applying dust to the tops will get most of the pests, but not all. This
would give you some measure of control and depending on how bad the bugs
are, it may be enough.

A Sevin spray (or wettable powder) would be easier to apply, so that may be
a better solution.

Early pole bean simy1 Edible Gardening 6 16-09-2006 01:40 PM
How thick a pole is okay for pole beans" Charlene Taylor Gardening 4 30-05-2005 05:21 PM
pole bean, older leaves dried up and dieing Joe Edible Gardening 1 29-04-2005 04:03 AM
Identify insect on bean leaves JJGrey Edible Gardening 5 08-06-2004 04:26 PM
Wimpy Kentucky Pole Bean Plants Kathy Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:56 AM