GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crab apple polination partner (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/147536-crab-apple-polination-partner.html)

gasdoctor 09-07-2006 11:17 AM

Crab apple polination partner

Hi,

Two questions

Firstly, I read somewhere that crab apples make suitable pollination partners for eating apples? I have a charles ross apple, and Im about to plant some ornamental trees nearby and thought it might kill two birds with one stone.

Which leads me on to the second question as recomendations for a couple of ornamental trees to provide a bit of a screen.

Cheers

Ed

Steve 09-07-2006 05:46 PM

gasdoctor wrote:
Hi,

Two questions

Firstly, I read somewhere that crab apples make suitable pollination
partners for eating apples?

Absolutely

I have a charles ross apple, and Im about
to plant some ornamental trees nearby and thought it might kill two
birds with one stone.

Which leads me on to the second question as recomendations for a couple
of ornamental trees to provide a bit of a screen...............

Maybe you should give an idea of where you live so somebody from that
general area can tell you what works well.
Let's see, you are growing apples so I'm pretty sure you are not in Key
West. ;-)

Steve

gasdoctor 19-07-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
gasdoctor wrote:
Hi,

Two questions

Firstly, I read somewhere that crab apples make suitable pollination
partners for eating apples?

Absolutely

I have a charles ross apple, and Im about
to plant some ornamental trees nearby and thought it might kill two
birds with one stone.

Which leads me on to the second question as recomendations for a couple
of ornamental trees to provide a bit of a screen...............

Maybe you should give an idea of where you live so somebody from that
general area can tell you what works well.
Let's see, you are growing apples so I'm pretty sure you are not in Key
West. ;-)

Steve

Good point, forgot I hadnt used the UK thread.

Im in the West Midlands, but youve answered my question.

Thanks

Ed