GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   red scarlet runner beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/148388-red-scarlet-runner-beans.html)

higgledy 05-08-2006 01:25 AM

red scarlet runner beans

I pulled all my plants out and shelled the brown pods. There are green
pods remaining, how do I handle these? Do I shell them and dry them on
a screen until they dry and shrvile?

Also, some beans are spotted with rust. does anyone know what this is?
Should I toss those beans? There are only a few beans with spots so it
is not a big deal.

zxcvbob 05-08-2006 03:07 AM

red scarlet runner beans

higgledy wrote:
I pulled all my plants out and shelled the brown pods. There are green
pods remaining, how do I handle these? Do I shell them and dry them on
a screen until they dry and shrvile?

Also, some beans are spotted with rust. does anyone know what this is?
Should I toss those beans? There are only a few beans with spots so it
is not a big deal.

If they are still tender, snap them in to pieces (pull the strings out)
and boil them, covered, in just a little salted water until tender.

Runner bean pods are very tasty. I try to pick them all while still
green; I only dry the ones that get away from me.

Bob

higgledy 05-08-2006 10:03 PM

red scarlet runner beans

My mom used horticultural beans. She shelled them and made soup with a
little ham. I never knew you could eat the pod too.