Old 05-08-2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default red scarlet runner beans

I pulled all my plants out and shelled the brown pods. There are green
pods remaining, how do I handle these? Do I shell them and dry them on
a screen until they dry and shrvile?

Also, some beans are spotted with rust. does anyone know what this is?
Should I toss those beans? There are only a few beans with spots so it
is not a big deal.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

higgledy wrote:
I pulled all my plants out and shelled the brown pods. There are green
pods remaining, how do I handle these? Do I shell them and dry them on
a screen until they dry and shrvile?

Also, some beans are spotted with rust. does anyone know what this is?
Should I toss those beans? There are only a few beans with spots so it
is not a big deal.

If they are still tender, snap them in to pieces (pull the strings out)
and boil them, covered, in just a little salted water until tender.

Runner bean pods are very tasty. I try to pick them all while still
green; I only dry the ones that get away from me.

Bob