GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mint with flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/148693-mint-flowers.html)

[email protected] 14-08-2006 12:53 AM

mint with flowers

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does
flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Henriette Kress 14-08-2006 06:43 AM

mint with flowers

wrote:

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does
flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?

I usually pick my mint in flower. More plant for the same effort ...

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage:

William L. Rose 14-08-2006 06:15 PM

mint with flowers

In article ,
Henriette Kress wrote:

wrote:

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does
flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?

I usually pick my mint in flower. More plant for the same effort ...

Henriette

My experience is that herbs are at their most intense during flowering.
Anybody think of an exception?
- Bill

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 14-08-2006 07:16 PM

mint with flowers

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

In article ,
Henriette Kress wrote:

wrote:

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does
flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?

I usually pick my mint in flower. More plant for the same effort ...

Henriette

My experience is that herbs are at their most intense during flowering.
Anybody think of an exception?
- Bill

Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Jim Carlock 15-08-2006 06:15 PM

mint with flowers

"William L. Rose" asked:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 15-08-2006 07:57 PM

mint with flowers

"William L. Rose" asked:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

I know Jalapenos sure do... lol
Deprive them of water and they are HOT!!!!!

Well, hotter than the ones from the store anyway. G

My cockatoo loved them.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

William L. Rose 16-08-2006 12:55 AM

mint with flowers

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

"William L. Rose" asked:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

I know Jalapenos sure do... lol
Deprive them of water and they are HOT!!!!!

Well, hotter than the ones from the store anyway. G

My cockatoo loved them.

This really is like herding cats isn't it? (head'em up, move'em out)

The subject on the table before us was flowering mint and whether its'
incomparable and sublime gastronomical qualities were blemished by it's
primordial, irrepressible, biological impulse to flower. I took the
imprudent step of expanding the discussion to herbs in general. And now
look what's happened. We're all the bloody way back over in condiments.

So to sum up. The flowering mint should just be ducky for brewing a
tisane to imbibe on a warm summer afternoon. As long, of course, as you
keep the wilting wild onions, radishes, jalapeno peppers and the odd
Charolais out of it.

So. Done here then are we? Good;-

- Bill

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 16-08-2006 03:01 AM

mint with flowers

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

This really is like herding cats isn't it? (head'em up, move'em out)

lol Thread drift happens, sorry!

The subject on the table before us was flowering mint and whether its'
incomparable and sublime gastronomical qualities were blemished by it's
primordial, irrepressible, biological impulse to flower. I took the
imprudent step of expanding the discussion to herbs in general. And now
look what's happened. We're all the bloody way back over in condiments.

I think the answer was that blooming made it better. :-)
I concur. I used to grow spearmint and lemon mint.

So to sum up. The flowering mint should just be ducky for brewing a
tisane to imbibe on a warm summer afternoon. As long, of course, as you
keep the wilting wild onions, radishes, jalapeno peppers and the odd
Charolais out of it.

So. Done here then are we? Good;-

- Bill

Indeed... G