Old 14-08-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default mint with flowers

Can mint still be used for tea after it has begun flowering, or does
flowering reduce the intensity of the leaves?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 15-08-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"William L. Rose" asked:
My experience is that herbs are at their most intense during flowering.
Anybody think of an exception?

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

Old 15-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

I know Jalapenos sure do... lol
Deprive them of water and they are HOT!!!!!

Well, hotter than the ones from the store anyway. G

My cockatoo loved them.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 16-08-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote:
Wild Onions... ;-)
They lose flavor totally when they bloom.....

But other than that, I agree with ya!

The radish I've planted seem to lose some flavor as well. I
thought I read recently that someone else had radish that
ended up more intense under some certain conditions (dryness?).

I know Jalapenos sure do... lol
Deprive them of water and they are HOT!!!!!

Well, hotter than the ones from the store anyway. G

My cockatoo loved them.

This really is like herding cats isn't it? (head'em up, move'em out)

The subject on the table before us was flowering mint and whether its'
incomparable and sublime gastronomical qualities were blemished by it's
primordial, irrepressible, biological impulse to flower. I took the
imprudent step of expanding the discussion to herbs in general. And now
look what's happened. We're all the bloody way back over in condiments.

So to sum up. The flowering mint should just be ducky for brewing a
tisane to imbibe on a warm summer afternoon. As long, of course, as you
keep the wilting wild onions, radishes, jalapeno peppers and the odd
Charolais out of it.

So. Done here then are we? Good;-

- Bill
Old 16-08-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"William L. Rose" wrote:

This really is like herding cats isn't it? (head'em up, move'em out)

lol Thread drift happens, sorry!

The subject on the table before us was flowering mint and whether its'
incomparable and sublime gastronomical qualities were blemished by it's
primordial, irrepressible, biological impulse to flower. I took the
imprudent step of expanding the discussion to herbs in general. And now
look what's happened. We're all the bloody way back over in condiments.

I think the answer was that blooming made it better. :-)
I concur. I used to grow spearmint and lemon mint.

So to sum up. The flowering mint should just be ducky for brewing a
tisane to imbibe on a warm summer afternoon. As long, of course, as you
keep the wilting wild onions, radishes, jalapeno peppers and the odd
Charolais out of it.

So. Done here then are we? Good;-

- Bill

Indeed... G
Carry on!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM