Old 19-08-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Yellow Submarine Cucumber

Burpee has a cucumber called "Yellow Submarine".

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...SubSubCat=1899

http://tinyurl.com/mtx3t

Has anyone grown this cucumber? If you did, how well did it produce
and how good did it taste? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I was about nine years old I decided to grow a vegetable
garden. Not knowing any better I planted what we had in the
Old 19-08-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

It is a large pickling cucumber from Seminis,. Sold by a lot of seed
companies. Here is Seminis description :"A 2001 introduction from
Seminis. Open pollinated. According to Seminis " Born in the jungle,
raised in Europe and now residing in the U. S., new Yellow Submarine
cucumber is as novel as anything to come along since the development of
parthenocarpic cucumbers. Say what? Seedless cucumbers. Perhaps the
best way to explain this is that it is a Riessenschal type. Huh? Okay,
let's just say it's an improvement over Carnito. Good, now you've
got it.

Seriously, while all of the above is true, what you really need to know
is that this is what makes gardeners garden. This is different. Real
different. The innovation's all there in Yellow Submarine.

Fruit color begins as light green, then turns to light yellow as the
fruits gain both length and diameter. They can be used fresh as a salad
cucumber, but this is actually a pickling type. You've seen, and most
likely eaten, those big yellowish sandwich stacker pickles, right? One
slice covers a medium sized hamburger. Well, this is it. This is the
variety they make those giant pickle slices from. And are they
delicious!

Plants of Yellow Submarine are quite sturdy and vigorous with good
tolerance against Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Scab and Powdery Mildew. They
develop large, harvestable fruits in about 58-60 days. The fruits grow
to lengths of up to eight inches and three inches across while
maintaining a very small seed cavity. They make wonderful sliced
crunchy pickles in these large sizes, the perfect thing to stack on
sandwiches to give them some extra zip, especially on submarine
sandwiches and burgers. Add some garlic and hot red peppers to your
pickling brine, and you'll be in hog heaven with every sandwich bite
you take."

Old 31-08-2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" wrote:

They can be used fresh as a salad
cucumber, but this is actually a pickling type. You've seen, and most
likely eaten, those big yellowish sandwich stacker pickles, right? One
slice covers a medium sized hamburger. Well, this is it. This is the
variety they make those giant pickle slices from. And are they
delicious!

I *LOVE* those big sandwich stacker pickles. I think they are the
best pickles I have ever eaten but lately the only sandwich stacker
pickles I have been able to find are ones made out of smaller
cucumbers that are sliced lengthwise. I do not think they are quite
as good as the big round ones.

Plants of Yellow Submarine are quite sturdy and vigorous with good
tolerance against Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Scab and Powdery Mildew. They
develop large, harvestable fruits in about 58-60 days. The fruits grow
to lengths of up to eight inches and three inches across while
maintaining a very small seed cavity. They make wonderful sliced
crunchy pickles in these large sizes,

What is the best size for using in a salad?

the perfect thing to stack on
sandwiches to give them some extra zip, especially on submarine
sandwiches and burgers. Add some garlic and hot red peppers to your
pickling brine, and you'll be in hog heaven with every sandwich bite
you take."

This sounds just about perfect for me because I almost always have
problems with powdery mildew. I will definitely grow some next
year.

--
My cat marmaduke often meows at the door when I work outside. I used to
think it was because he missed me but now I think it is because he wants