GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   terminal bud knots up (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/149811-terminal-bud-knots-up.html)

rtdrury 23-09-2006 04:41 AM

terminal bud knots up

I started three almond and three cherry seedlings. Both types are
prunus, with similar leaves and growth pattern - very fast. After four
plants grew to varying heights the stalk growth halted and the terminal
bud started producing leaves twisted in a tight knot. Otherwise the
plants appear very healthy. Anyone have any ideas? If I pinch out the
knot will the plants sprout branches and grow into decent trees? Or
are they doomed - infected with some disease?

BG 01-10-2006 08:39 AM

terminal bud knots up

rtdrury wrote:
I started three almond and three cherry seedlings. Both types are
prunus, with similar leaves and growth pattern - very fast. After four
plants grew to varying heights the stalk growth halted and the terminal
bud started producing leaves twisted in a tight knot. Otherwise the
plants appear very healthy. Anyone have any ideas? If I pinch out the
knot will the plants sprout branches and grow into decent trees? Or
are they doomed - infected with some disease?

It is a Gaul / Gall , I am not sure of the spelling , my volunteer
Cherry trees get it -- needs to be sprayed , ask at your local
nursery...
You didn't mention your zone to know when to spray it ... Not that I
know, but some one else might :)

Best of luck! BG

rtdrury 09-10-2006 09:50 PM

terminal bud knots up

Thanks BG. Maybe it is a gall, even though I could not find a photo of
a prunus with gall to verify. I had to snip the stalk well below the
problem node and the almond seedling sprouted branches which seem
healthy so far. Plucking out the bud wasn't enough. It would simply
sprout another infected bud.