Old 23-09-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default terminal bud knots up

I started three almond and three cherry seedlings. Both types are
prunus, with similar leaves and growth pattern - very fast. After four
plants grew to varying heights the stalk growth halted and the terminal
bud started producing leaves twisted in a tight knot. Otherwise the
plants appear very healthy. Anyone have any ideas? If I pinch out the
knot will the plants sprout branches and grow into decent trees? Or
are they doomed - infected with some disease?

Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
BG BG is offline

rtdrury wrote:
I started three almond and three cherry seedlings. Both types are
prunus, with similar leaves and growth pattern - very fast. After four
plants grew to varying heights the stalk growth halted and the terminal
bud started producing leaves twisted in a tight knot. Otherwise the
plants appear very healthy. Anyone have any ideas? If I pinch out the
knot will the plants sprout branches and grow into decent trees? Or
are they doomed - infected with some disease?

It is a Gaul / Gall , I am not sure of the spelling , my volunteer
Cherry trees get it -- needs to be sprayed , ask at your local
nursery...
You didn't mention your zone to know when to spray it ... Not that I
know, but some one else might

Best of luck! BG

Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks BG. Maybe it is a gall, even though I could not find a photo of
a prunus with gall to verify. I had to snip the stalk well below the
problem node and the almond seedling sprouted branches which seem
healthy so far. Plucking out the bud wasn't enough. It would simply
sprout another infected bud.

Knots and kinks in cables [email protected] United Kingdom 7 21-04-2009 02:26 PM
Stems in knots xtr396472 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 21-07-2004 10:05 AM
first bud dave weil Roses 17 02-04-2003 05:08 PM
Can I bud/graft cherry onto plum rootstock? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:27 PM
impatien ,bud like thing********************************************* gort United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 10:15 AM