Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Default Broad beans

I am very new to growing veg so some help would be real nice

I planted some broad beans in November, they showed themselves in good style, but are now flopping over. Should I have pinched tops out or do they need staking?

The stems appear quite thin and weak.

any advice much appreciated
Old 15-01-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Suzie

It depends on the variety you have. Some of the edible vicia which are
used for green manure do tend to flop. They might not like your soil. I
was never able to grow them successfully here in Zone 6 (I too would
get the thin stems, plus a fungus that would brown them), though in
Zone 8-9 they grow like weeds during winter. You may have planted too
late too. I remember they were planted in september in Zone 8.

Old 15-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered User

Thank you for that advice - I will record it for next year