GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pearl garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/15263-pearl-garlic.html)

Pen 17-04-2003 12:20 AM

Pearl garlic

I bought a pack of garlic in the grocery store labeled 'pearl garlic'.
It turned out to be one giant clove instead of several small cloves
in the bulb. I made the easiest garlic spread ever. Now I'm
wondering if this garlic is the result of a new variety or a special
growing method. Where do I get more info on this novelty?

George Shirley 17-04-2003 12:56 AM

Pearl garlic

Sounds like someone renamed elephant garlic which grows one very large
clove and not many like regular garlic. Available at most seedsmen.

George

Dwayne 17-04-2003 03:32 AM

Pearl garlic

I don't know if this is the answer to your question, but if I plant a garlic
clove in the early spring and harvest it later that year, it will usually be
one ball of garlic rather than a bunch of cloves. If I plant it in
September and harvest it the next year, I will have cloves. Could it be
that pearl garlic was grown that way on purpose? I really didn't notice any
difference in taste, except that the cloves might have tasted a little
stronger.

Dwayne

om...

Gary Woods 17-04-2003 02:20 PM

Pearl garlic

(Pen) wrote:

I bought a pack of garlic in the grocery store labeled 'pearl garlic'.
It turned out to be one giant clove instead of several small cloves
in the bulb.

It sounds much like what people obsessed over garlic (mea culpa) call a
"round." If you plant one of the little bulbils that form on the stem of
topset garlic, you'll get a single undivided bulb the first season.
Usually those "flower" stalks are cut off to put all the energy into the
main bulb, but bulbils are a good way to make quick increase of a new
variety.
Digressing even further:
There's considerable discussion over whether cutting the scapes, as these
stalks are called, matters. It depends on soil fertility, moisture, the
phase of the moon, and the gardener's [love] life. In my garlic bed does
matter, to the tune of half the size bulbs.
Minor setback in spring up here, but at least it didn't snow.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Pen 20-04-2003 09:44 PM

Pearl garlic

Awesome! Thanks everyone. :)