Old 17-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Pen

Default Pearl garlic

I bought a pack of garlic in the grocery store labeled 'pearl garlic'.
It turned out to be one giant clove instead of several small cloves
in the bulb. I made the easiest garlic spread ever. Now I'm
wondering if this garlic is the result of a new variety or a special
growing method. Where do I get more info on this novelty?
Old 17-04-2003, 12:56 AM
George Shirley

Sounds like someone renamed elephant garlic which grows one very large
clove and not many like regular garlic. Available at most seedsmen.

George

Old 17-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

I don't know if this is the answer to your question, but if I plant a garlic
clove in the early spring and harvest it later that year, it will usually be
one ball of garlic rather than a bunch of cloves. If I plant it in
September and harvest it the next year, I will have cloves. Could it be
that pearl garlic was grown that way on purpose? I really didn't notice any
difference in taste, except that the cloves might have tasted a little
stronger.

Dwayne

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Pen

Awesome! Thanks everyone.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Freshwater Pearl Necklace Sets Foundation for the Perfect Look(freshwater pearl necklaces) zax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 01-04-2008 05:56 PM
Tarwi - Pearl Lupine - Lupinus mutabilis briancady413 Permaculture 1 18-12-2004 05:11 PM
Arum Lily (Black pearl) Avril United Kingdom 7 21-07-2003 04:42 AM
Source/Replacement for Ruby Pearl Edible Gardening 1 04-03-2003 09:03 PM