GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transplanting corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/15441-transplanting-corn.html)

Zphysics1 18-04-2003 03:32 PM

transplanting corn

Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.

Arnold De Heristal 18-04-2003 04:32 PM

transplanting corn

On 18 Apr 2003 14:23:13 GMT, (Zphysics1) wrote:

Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.

You're not supposed to, but living in the far north, I'm always
looking for ways to lengthen the growing season, and 4 years out of 5
it has worked for me. I use (recycled) plastic 6 packs with cells
abt. 2.5 inches deep, ordinary garden soil, and start the corn seeds
in my greenhouse 4 weeks before the frost-free date. Using this
technique I get ripe corn 2 weeks earlier.

robert29 18-04-2003 07:36 PM

Yes but it's easier if you sow the seeds in small plastic pots as there should be no root disturbance and they tap out of those just perfectly. Works every year a ok:D

Ace 18-04-2003 09:44 PM

transplanting corn

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

s.com...
--
robert29

zxcvbob 18-04-2003 10:08 PM

transplanting corn

Zphysics1 wrote:
Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.

I've never heard of doing that, but it gives me an idea. How about
presprouting the corn and carefully sowing it after some has started
germinating? That way you should be able to plant when the ground is still
too cold. Should be able to get an extra 2 weeks if it works.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/

Zphysics1 19-04-2003 12:32 AM

transplanting corn

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

That's what I am trying to say. I started some corn in the garden and the
birds are having a great snack.
I have sweet ruby corn which is about $6 a small packet and I would like to
make sure the corn grows -- not as a bird snack. ;-)

/z.

James Mayer 19-04-2003 01:56 AM

transplanting corn

On 18 Apr 2003 14:23:13 GMT, (Zphysics1) wrote:

Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.

I don't see why not. Home Depot sells them in the 9 packs from
Bonnie Farms.

Pat Kiewicz 19-04-2003 12:08 PM

transplanting corn

Zphysics1 said:

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

That's what I am trying to say. I started some corn in the garden and the
birds are having a great snack.
I have sweet ruby corn which is about $6 a small packet and I would like to
make sure the corn grows -- not as a bird snack. ;-)

I've taken to netting over my corn plantings, as the birds will pull out the
young shoots to get the remaining kernal.

The one time I transplanted corn, the birds had an easy time pulling out the peat
pellets and making a real mess of everything.

(I have put covers over any sunflowers I plant, too, as the birds will snap them
up as they start to emerge. The worst offenders are cardinals.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Zphysics1 19-04-2003 04:32 PM

transplanting corn

Thanks to all.

I am starting mine today :-)

/z.

CwF 28-04-2003 06:08 AM

Corn

Polar wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:15:32 GMT, "Tim B" wrote:

[...]

There's nothing quite like picking corn and dropping it directly in

the pot.
Plus it looks nice growing in the garden.

[....]

I don't cook it in water. Why lose all those nutrients? Some people
cook over a steamer for that reason.

I just pull back the husk, remove the silk, fold back husk, and nuke
it briefly. Delicious! Can be eaten w/o butter, salt, anything.

--
Polar

Why even nuke it?
Just eat it!

Almost none from my 8-12 plants makes it out of the garden.
I transplant into the clay soil with manure and naturalized peas.
White early sweet already in and inches tall.
Zone 5 Denver

Clark

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----