Old 18-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Zphysics1

Default transplanting corn

Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.
Old 18-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Plymouth

Yes but it's easier if you sow the seeds in small plastic pots as there should be no root disturbance and they tap out of those just perfectly. Works every year a ok
Old 18-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Ace

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

s.com...
--
robert29

Old 18-04-2003, 10:08 PM
zxcvbob

Zphysics1 wrote:
Does anyone know if I can transplant corn if I start the seeds in one of those
jiffy pots?

/z.

I've never heard of doing that, but it gives me an idea. How about
presprouting the corn and carefully sowing it after some has started
germinating? That way you should be able to plant when the ground is still
too cold. Should be able to get an extra 2 weeks if it works.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/

Old 19-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Zphysics1

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

That's what I am trying to say. I started some corn in the garden and the
birds are having a great snack.
I have sweet ruby corn which is about $6 a small packet and I would like to
make sure the corn grows -- not as a bird snack. ;-)

/z.
Old 19-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Zphysics1 said:

Why not just sow them in peat pots and plant the whole thing when ready to
put in your garden?

That's what I am trying to say. I started some corn in the garden and the
birds are having a great snack.
I have sweet ruby corn which is about $6 a small packet and I would like to
make sure the corn grows -- not as a bird snack. ;-)

I've taken to netting over my corn plantings, as the birds will pull out the
young shoots to get the remaining kernal.

The one time I transplanted corn, the birds had an easy time pulling out the peat
pellets and making a real mess of everything.

(I have put covers over any sunflowers I plant, too, as the birds will snap them
up as they start to emerge. The worst offenders are cardinals.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 19-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Zphysics1

Thanks to all.

I am starting mine today :-)

/z.
Old 28-04-2003, 06:08 AM
CwF

Default Corn

Polar wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:15:32 GMT, "Tim B" wrote:

[...]

There's nothing quite like picking corn and dropping it directly in

the pot.
Plus it looks nice growing in the garden.

[....]

I don't cook it in water. Why lose all those nutrients? Some people
cook over a steamer for that reason.

I just pull back the husk, remove the silk, fold back husk, and nuke
it briefly. Delicious! Can be eaten w/o butter, salt, anything.

--
Polar

Why even nuke it?
Just eat it!

Almost none from my 8-12 plants makes it out of the garden.
I transplant into the clay soil with manure and naturalized peas.
White early sweet already in and inches tall.
Zone 5 Denver

Clark

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----