Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-04-2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Transplanting Problem

In light of the beautiful weather (sunny, 60F/16C day, 30F/-1C night) and
a good soil temp (61F/16C) I figured I would set out some transplants of
the cooler weather veggies this weekend.

I started lettuce and broccoli indoors a few weeks ago and they were doing
great. Last Wednesday they showed their second set of leaves so I gave
them a drink of 20-20-20 fertilizer and started setting them outside for a
few hours every day to harden them off a bit.

They were in 1x2x2 plastic cells. I transplanted them in to the garden on
Saturday morning by digging a nice hole, watering the hole and pushing the
bottom of the cells up and carefully picking up the seedlings and placing
them in to the soil.

By Sunday night all of the seedlings appeared to have died (ie fallen
over, wilted).

I thought I was doing everything "by the book". Is there something in my
method that I'm missing?

Thanks.

--
The Good Friar