Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cucumber Transplants

Hi All,
I just purchased some Marketmore Cucumber transplants from the
local nursery in those plastic modular trays with 4 cells per tray.
Some cells just have one plant but others have 2 or 3 plants in
a single cell. Should I thin those down to 1 plant per cell before
planting into the ground?

---pete---

Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Hi All,
I just purchased some Marketmore Cucumber transplants from the
local nursery in those plastic modular trays with 4 cells per tray.
Some cells just have one plant but others have 2 or 3 plants in
a single cell. Should I thin those down to 1 plant per cell before
planting into the ground?

No. Plant them just as they are in the cells and then let them grow for a
little while and then when you can see which of the 2 or 3 plants is going
to be the most vigorous one, pinch out the others. If you were growing your
cucumbers from seed then you would plant 2 or 3 seeds together and pinch out
the weaker ones once you could identify the strongest grower.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Hi All,
I just purchased some Marketmore Cucumber transplants from the
local nursery in those plastic modular trays with 4 cells per tray.
Some cells just have one plant but others have 2 or 3 plants in
a single cell. Should I thin those down to 1 plant per cell before
planting into the ground?

No. Plant them just as they are in the cells and then let them grow for a
little while and then when you can see which of the 2 or 3 plants is going
to be the most vigorous one, pinch out the others. If you were growing
your cucumbers from seed then you would plant 2 or 3 seeds together and
pinch out the weaker ones once you could identify the strongest grower.

I have had no problems allowing two to stay together. If there were three I
would remove the weakest one.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ok, I guess I'll try both methods and see what happens.
Thanks.

I'll try to remember to post back here in a couple of months
to report what happens.

---pete---