Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Lemon Balm

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy
Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

I'll go out and look at it in the morning. Lemon balm is the herb of
the year for the Herb Society of America. Here's some info til then
http://herbsociety.org/lemonbalm/index.php

And please, Billy, stop feeding those damned trolls! Snip crossposts.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

And please, Billy, stop feeding those damned trolls! Snip crossposts.

Honest, I try only to feed my cute little tree rats. It must be spring
because they are chasing each other up and down the cable TV wire and up
and down the poles. Something must have happened to my chosen little
tree rat. I put out a walnut every morning for her/him but after a
couple of years my tree rat stopped coming, about two months ago. He/she
would always come before 8 o'clock AM. Now the nut just sits there
sometimes until the afternoon. I can't help but wonder what ever
happened to my little squirrel. They are so cute.

- Billy
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:23:12 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

Pinkish when stressed. Lemon flavor more pronounced when growing a bit
on the dry side. Quite invasive. I used to plant it under the hose bibb
so it'd get stepped on regularly -- kept it in check a bit. g

Kay

Old 13-06-2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Lemon Balm is the Kudzu of the herb world, after planting a cute little
4" pot of it the monster can spread everywhere. If you have a place
where nothing else will grow, go for it, but be prepared to pull it up
and give it away ( to other victims rather like Little Shop of horrors
)as you try to keep it confined. I like Lemon Verbina better for suntea,
but the verbena is even less cold-hardy than basil so unless you are in
a tropical climate, this herb has to be potted and kept warm.With proper
attention, lemon balm can be a lovely addition to a garden but it does
spread quickly by seed.
Pat

Old 14-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Sorry to get back to this so late. Yes, some pink leaves, but not on
all the seedlings, and yes, there is a distinct lemon flavor. These
seedlings all had three to four sets of leaves, or fewer.
Old 15-06-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Sorry to get back to this so late. Yes, some pink leaves, but not on
all the seedlings, and yes, there is a distinct lemon flavor. These
seedlings all had three to four sets of leaves, or fewer.

Well that's a start. Thanks for looking. Mine taste like a weed. Just a
plain, simple, nondescript weed. I wonder what the heck I planted and
why? Thanks again.
- Billy

Old 15-06-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Cockscomb has red stalks and the bottom leaves are a bit pinkish.

I beg your pardon. Manana,

- Billy
Old 15-06-2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:43:41 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Well that's a start. Thanks for looking. Mine taste like a weed. Just a
plain, simple, nondescript weed. I wonder what the heck I planted and
why? Thanks again.

Judging by the tone and content of some of your recent posts, I suspect
Jimson Weed.

Or maybe it's just something else.

Hey, Charlie. How bouts a cold one?
I thought you would have understood. I mean, what are these NGs
(rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible) all about? I presume that they are
about sharing information. Some of us are very knowledgeable about some
areas of this subject and the very same people may have gaping black
holes of ignorance in other areas. If you need information to make a
decision, you need all the information you can get, ifn you want to make
a good decision.

Now this guy, Michael, posts a request for ideas about what to plant in
a limited area, that will be about 15' in height and have a spread of
10' to 15'. He muses on the idea of a dogwood. Sheldon responds that he
just bought one. Joe observers that the mature is too large for the
area, how close are foundations, and suggests seeing a local nursery for
information. Michael agrees with Joe's assesment of planting a dogwood.
Sheldon responds with sarcasm and name calling. You with me so far, good
buddy?

Now there seems to be enough room in this NG for everyone to have input
but I don't see any room for posters who try to limit information. To
regular posters to these NGs, we are familiar the most of personalities
involved and can take their advice with a grain of salt. To someone just
stopping by the NG for a quick fix, they may be influenced by another
posters condesention. Limiting is not our business.

Three times I have asked Sheldon to support his contention that Joe
knows nothing and three times he avoided the opportunity. Yes, I mocked
him. I satirized him and, I defecated his character BUT I drew the
reasoning from his own statements.

Do you call people douche bags and by extension, "He throws like a girl"
and, "What a pu**y?". I don't have time for those knuckle draggers and I
hate to see them in my face. Lest anyone think that I am now
participating in the same name calling as Sheldon, let me point out the
"knuckle dragger" is a euphemism for primitive, in this case culturally.

We already have a president that doesn't think that we need evidence for
a judgement, there isn't much I can do about that but with Sheldon, it's
a different matter. I'll leave him alone now, at least, until he starts
making more accusations that he can't support.

That was a nice report you had on European organic production. You have
a URL for that?

Dang, out of suds. That was a dry one. I'm still thirsty.

bis bald,

- Billy

Bloody lemon balm! Roy Bailey United Kingdom 7 20-04-2009 10:43 AM
How Long Does Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L) Last? Jim Carlock Gardening 12 29-09-2005 05:57 AM
Lemon Balm Katra Edible Gardening 1 30-08-2004 05:42 PM
Lemon Balm Sissy Edible Gardening 1 29-08-2004 02:56 PM
Lemon Balm Story Tarzan United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 07:21 PM