Old 21-06-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default It didn't pay for me to start my own from seed.

writes:
Aluckyguess wrote:

Had the same problem before. This year I bought all new seeds and had

100%
germination on everthing. Only problem is I didnt label them. My first
tomatoes are orange.

The orange cherry tomatoes I planted were the best I've ever tasted. I
wish
I (a) hadn't eaten all of last year's crop and (b) hadn't neglected to
find
seeds before now. Maybe next year.

Bev, were yours Sun Gold? I ask because they are a hybrid. Several years
ago, pre-chickens, I had more volunteer tomatoes than I knew what to do
with and gave them to everyone who would take them. One couple was lucky
enough to get a Sun Gold. It wasn't until later that I realized they
should not have gotten what they got since it's a hybrid and should not
have seeded back true. Rats! I missed a golden opportunity with that
plant. It likely won't ever present itself again. Oh, well. I can
always tell myself that the child plant came back true but the
grandchildren would not. And, no, they didn't save seeds.

Glenna