Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Indoor Worm Bins - Recommendations?

writes:
Hi! I am looking to start a worm bin for composting. I'm looking for
recommendations for a bin that would fit in an average size laundry
room and allow me to farm the castings for Worm Tea. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated! Jeannie

Take a look at this site for starters. It describes one very similar to
what our extension office classes teach locally.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/worms/n...ood/index.html

This site doesn't show the drain at that bottom at the end but a search
will likely show some that do. It is a short length of flexible tube with
a clip to release it to harvest the tea.

Check with your local extension service; they may very well offer classes.
Ours charged $25 for the class which covers the bin and the worms so
participants go home with a fully functioning worm bin. All they have to
do is add food.

There are a lot of fancy ones available that can be used as seats. Some
folks build a wooden bin right into kitchen cabinets. For a long time, I
kept my in my bathroom on the vanity counter because it is far longer than
it needs to be. Some people have even made coffee table bins and have
them right in their living room. There is no odor if it is properly
maintained which is not at all difficult.

There are many types of ready-to-use bins to buy if you are inclined.
Manufacturers are good at not letting a sales opportunity go by. Check
with your local extension office as many offer classes in the fall which
is almost upon us.

Have fun!

Glenna

Here's wooden bins: