Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Floating row covers

I have problems with insects attacking my veges. I have recently seen ads for
Floating Row Covers, which, it is said, offer some protection against frost
as well, which I could use in spring.

My question is: what effect do these covers have on air circulation? Another
problem that I have right now is fungus and moulds encouraged by weeks of warm
temperatures and drizzling rain. I do all that I can to promote air
circulation to reduce fungal attack and it seems to me that Floating Row
Covers might keep out the cabbage moths etc but reduce air circulation.

Any thought? Better still any experience?

David

Old 13-12-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In message , David Hare-Scott
writes
I have problems with insects attacking my veges. I have recently seen ads for
Floating Row Covers, which, it is said, offer some protection against frost
as well, which I could use in spring.

My question is: what effect do these covers have on air circulation? Another
problem that I have right now is fungus and moulds encouraged by weeks of warm
temperatures and drizzling rain. I do all that I can to promote air
circulation to reduce fungal attack and it seems to me that Floating Row
Covers might keep out the cabbage moths etc but reduce air circulation.

Any thought? Better still any experience?

David

You might be better off with what is sold here in the UK as Enviromesh -
fine plastic mesh (see www.agralan.co.uk). That will keep all but the
smallest insects out while reducing air flow and light somewhat less
than fleece. Obviously little or no frost protection though.
--
Max Wright