Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered User

Default First year of strawberries

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and a bit of a novice when it comes to gardening.

I have a couple of questions regarding planting strawberries.

I have ordered some strawberry plants, which I am expecting to arrive this week. I have read on various websites that strawberries have an average of 3 year life expectancy. I plan to replant the runners from my strawberry plants and replace the older plants when they are around 2-3 years old. Am I right to do this? I have read that you should not re-use an existing strawberry patch, but others websites say this is not a problem.

Also, I have also read that if I plant new plants early in the year, I need to remove any blossom/fruit so that they do not produce fruit in the first year, this is supposed to give the plant a chance to establish a good root. Is this correct? Is February too late for planting to get any fruit for this year?

Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Upton" wrote in message

[...]

More information. Are you in Maine or Texas?

Steve

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Upton" wrote in

I have a couple of questions regarding planting strawberries.

I have ordered some strawberry plants, which I am expecting to arrive
this week. I have read on various websites that strawberries have an
average of 3 year life expectancy. I plan to replant the runners from
my strawberry plants and replace the older plants when they are around
2-3 years old. Am I right to do this?

I woulnd't. I'd buy new plants. Strawberries are very susceptible to
viruses and they seem to lose their oomph after a few years.

I have read that you should not
re-use an existing strawberry patch, but others websites say this is
not a problem.

Go with the first thought because of the risk of disease.

Also, I have also read that if I plant new plants early in the year, I
need to remove any blossom/fruit so that they do not produce fruit in
the first year, this is supposed to give the plant a chance to
establish a good root. Is this correct? Is February too late for
planting to get any fruit for this year?

I have never bothered to remove any growth and always get a crop from new
plantings. As for the timing, perhaps you would be better to ask in the
uk.rec.gardening newsgroup. It is full of experts on all sorts of subjects
and has many people with a high knowledge level (and some complete dumbos
too but you'll soon pick them)

Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Probably neither. OP posted to a UK news server via giganews. I wouldn't
expect a response either.
Dave

Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

I am actually in the UK. Perhaps I am posting to the wrong forum? Or I need to set a timezone somewhere?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will just plant them and see how we get on without pinching them out.

I cannot wait to start, but I will need to prepare the ground this weekend, which will mean a lot of digging.

Thanks again

Steve

Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Steve Upton

From my extension service publication on commercial strawberry
gardens:

Plant strawberries in rows about 1 meter spacing. They will proprogate
as they spread out from the mother plant. After 3 years, remove the
mother plants, leaving the younger plants. Year 4, repeat removing the
oldest plants. Year 5, plant new plants in the row of the original
planting. Repeat the cycle.

KC
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Thanks KC,

That is just the information I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who responded for your friendly advice.

Steve